Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll bet Manning wishes he had half the "catches" that I had today.
I've been turning for less than 5 weeks and I love it.
Naturally I started out with pens and a few bottle stoppers but today I thought I'd show off a bit. I decided I would try my hand at a hickory container with a lid. Man, do I have alot to learn. Cleaning out the inside was my biggest challenge....still is. For the life of me, I can't make "any" gouges work for me. I'm using a 5/8 scraper to clean out the inside and that's working pretty well. This hickory is some really hard wood and I'm trying to keep my tools very sharp.

I've got about 6 or 7 hours into it so far....and about 4 design changes. Hope to finish it tomorrow.
Man, I'm having fun.

Dick

·
Banned
382 Posts
Try a bowl gouge. I've always had good luck with one. Check out some of John Lucas's videos on youtube. He does a good job of explaining things. I'm pretty sure he's got one explaining how bowl gouges work and how to use them. You may find them helpful.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I need to do a video on hollowing out containers. There's nothing wrong with a scraper for this. YOu didn't say if it's an end grain or side grain vessel. If it's it's end grain drill out the middle first. Then take a bowl gouge and tilt it so the flute is pointing to the left, not quite 9 oclock. tilt the flute up to about 10. Insert it into the hole you already drilled and cut to the left. Take light cuts at first until you get a feel for it. Once you get close to the wall you can do a sort of scrapping action with the bottom wing of the gouge. Oh I forgot that's with a swept back wing gouge grind.
If it's a side grain vessel (the grain runs perpendicular to the bed of the lathe) Then you hollow like you would hollow a bowl from the outside in. Again it helps to drill the hole first.
Look about 4 minutes into this video and I show a cut that is similar to how I use a bowl gouge. When I tilt the hercules tool to the right it's like tilting a bowl gouge and rubbing the bevel. The nose does the cutting. Tilting it to the left like I do later shows how a scraping action with the flute pointing to the left will do. Don't try to use a bowl gouge with the flute up like I do with the Hunter Hercules. It will bite you. The cutter angle and style of cutter is what lets you do this type of scraping cut. As you can see in this video this is a very good tool and never needs sharpening but it is an expensive tool. You can get them here http://www.hunterwoodturningtools.com/

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mr Lucas, I have admired your your work and greatly appreciated your videos for a long time. I especially admire and respect the time that you take to answer and just generally help out in this forum. I'm sure there are many, but speaking for myself, you have helped me out in many ways. That being said, can you give me $115. for a new Hercules....or just give me one of your old ones???:laughing:
I watched your video, and that tool certainly seems like it would be the answer to my problem with hollowing. Am I right in saying that you are referring to the "#3" Hunter Hercules tool? My birthday is in 3 weeks and I already mentioned this tool to my wife. (Gonna have to be a good boy....lol)

You mentioned that you "need to do a video on hollowing out containers". I'm sure that you are a busy person but, I for one would certainly watch and enjoy that video.

Thank you again, very much for all the help that you provide.
Dick

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It is the Hunter Hercules #3.
http://www.hunterwoodturningtool.com/pages/product_herc_03.html
It is a nice tool. I have to wait for the weather to get warmer to do any serious videos although I am going to try and to do one on drilling on the lathe in my kitchen. I need to get it done for the AAW Woodturning Fundamentals which is an online instructional magazine that is part of what you get when you join the AAW (american Association of Woodturners).
I don't create a lot of shavings doing that so thought I might be able to set the mini lathe up in the kitchen. Mostly it will be close ups of what to do and what not to do when drilling on the lathe.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
John,

Do you find it easy to do large, sweeping curves using the Hercules?

I have the Easy Wood Easy Finisher with the round cutter. I love making coves with it, but I can't make anything but coves; I can't seem to keep it moving quickly enough to cut straight or making a sweeping curve. I am able to cut sweeping curves with the Easy Rougher, but they don't come out very smooth. I know part of this is the operator, but I'm wondering what your experience has been with the Hunter Hercules.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts