Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
something that you are good at, and possibly not a common skill (like driving a nail in straight),
what would it be ?? (woodworking & carpentry related, please).

Reactions: TobyC

·
Interested Observer
1,142 Posts
You are not the smartest guy in the room.

Go into every situation believing that. If you find you are the smartest guy in the room it will be a pleasant surprise. When you find you aren't the smartest guy in the room you just might learn something.

·
where's my table saw?
28,573 Posts
Stay completely focused on the work in front of you, especially near spinning cutters!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Freehand sharpening of wood carving tools, both straight and curved edges.
I was taught well. I decided that I was going to practice and be really good at it.
There's a bunch of unwritten tricks that help a lot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
nothing really, in any trade - guess am a failure. Learning to be a content failure now that I am retired :)

on a side note - I don't have the patience to be really good at anything, I am more a "Jack of All Trades" and just want to "get it done". Wife and I's best project ever was designing the Kitchen remodel and buying all the cabinetry from Schuler Lowes. We installed it. I also work on my Jeep - every once in a while the correct procedure involves hitting a metal object with a big hammer - my kind of work.

"Really good at?" - maybe over-analyzing a project.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Apart from the obvious that almost all tools we use has the potential to bit you hard.

It would be that you are probably the only one that would see/notice the wee mistakes, take the complement.

enjoy

·
Registered
848 Posts
My suggestion applies to just about anything. I am good at a few things and the main reason is because I sought out those who had more talent, more knowledge, more experience, etc. than I have, asked them a lot of questions and listened to the answers. Sometimes I had to buy lunch, a favorite scotch or six pack from a favorite microbrewery. Whatever it took to learn what they knew.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
When to walk away

Sounds like a basic thing, but everybody has a problem with it. Its the sunken cost fallacy, the belief that if youve spent a lot of time/resources on something, the it only makes sense to finish said something, otherwise youve wasted what you put into it. Problem with that is the effort you spend into fixing something doomed to failure would be better spent starting something new that will work

If i could teach someone one skill, it would be to identify when the cost of fixing outweighs the cost of walking away, and that goes for a lot of things. Projects doomed to failure, repairing old things instead of replacing them with something better, relationships. Took the school of hard knocks to teach me that one

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,269 Posts
I was going to say cracking new joints people probably have never done..I can pop all kinds of joints all over my body, but it's not woodworking..Toes, ankle joints, foot parts, knees, spine, wrists, shoulders, etc. I've counted up to 74 individual joints I've been able to pop at various times..just one of my many quarks..My old lady thinks my bones aren't even attached to each other..
I did have quite a few people last year wanting me to teach woodworking in my shop, but I had to pass because the liabilities would wipe me out if some fool badly injured themselves or even just slightly.. We live in a law suit happy society..

Reactions: Bob Bengal

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Keep an open mind about learning new things.

You can have a lot of experience doing something the wrong way.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts