Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of you pros tell me what wood this is? I want to say cherry.

I have 5 brand new, and was going to try to sell them on craigslist. Seems like pretty good construction. Any idea what to ask? 60 bucks each? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Can any of you pros tell me what wood this is? I want to say cherry.

I have 5 brand new, and was going to try to sell them on craigslist. Seems like pretty good construction. Any idea what to ask? 60 bucks each? Thanks.

look's like the rungs on the botton are popler or gum wood with stain, and the back's look like the same wood ,and maybe the other wood has a stain also kind of hard to tell may realy be cheep wood with stain and lacquer finish ?? good locking chairs any way my 2 cents

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha exotic wooden chairs for sale! I like it.

Ok, I think I'm going to go with mahogany for the craigslist post, sounds more expensive. If it turns out to not be mahogany, I doubt I'll get a return request. The chairs are heavier than I thought so it's gotta be something quality. FYI, that sticker you can't read says "Made in China." But still seems like solid construction.

Thank you gentlemen.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Ha exotic wooden chairs for sale! I like it.

Ok, I think I'm going to go with mahogany for the craigslist post, sounds more expensive. If it turns out to not be mahogany, I doubt I'll get a return request. The chairs are heavier than I thought so it's gotta be something quality. FYI, that sticker you can't read says "Made in China." But still seems like solid construction.

Thank you gentlemen.
If it's made in China, take a close look at the grain and compare it to the rubberwood on my site. They use rubberwood VERY extensively for furniture of all kinds and they stain it all kinds of colors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's made in China, take a close look at the grain and compare it to the rubberwood on my site. They use rubberwood VERY extensively for furniture of all kinds and they stain it all kinds of colors.
Ok very good to know, phinds. So would that half the quality or what?

I'm not at the house so I can't check right now.

I already posted the ad, but I will be honest with anyone that buys it once I can figure out what it is.

Where exactly would I check for the grain? I'm semi-retarded.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Dang it you beat me too it. I was going to say rubber wood. Very very common for import furniture.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Dang it you beat me too it. I was going to say rubber wood. Very very common for import furniture.
Jean, to my embarrassment, I only found out about rubberwood a few months ago, when I added it to my site. Turns out I had SEEN the stuff for years but just wrote all that furniture off as "various Asian woods that I don't care about" not realizing they were all the same wood and that I even had a sample of it on my mystery wood page.

SO ... I didn't beat you to it by much :smile:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I think it's poplar that stained too with the seat being one of the Asian "hardwoods". How heavy is it? That's my two cents. That being said, I think the use of rubberwood is a great way to use a natural resource. Has anyone ever read up on it? Apparently the rubber trees stop producing their product, whatever the gum or sap is used to make "rubber". When they don't produce anymore, then they are used for the furniture industry. A suprisingly intelligent use of natural resources for the Eastern half of our big blue ball.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.