Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I'm new to the forum. I'm working on a new woodworking project related to my other passion--auto restoration. I've got an instrument panel that I'm trying to restore. The panel is plywood with a hardwood veneer. The veneer is well beyond restoration so I'll be re-veneering or starting from scratch. I'm struggling, though, to identify the species.
I'd appreciate any thoughts on what the veneer is.

Thanks in advance!
Paul
IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1096.jpg

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
With the finish on it, its kinda difficult to tell what kind of wood it is. It's a tight grain such as birch or maple. Rather than re-veneering that panel I believe I would use that one for a pattern and make a new one. If that veneer is failing the veneer on the back and the core veneers are probably failing or soon to do so. It appears to be flat. You might get some lumber core plywood to make it from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The panel is from a 68 Triumph Spitfire.

I was thinking mahogany myself. The 'legend' is that they used English Walnut, but it didn't look anything like walnut to me.

Always interested in other opinions, perspectives, and ideas on the path forward.

Paul

·
Registered
620 Posts
If it's British my guess is walnut. And probably walnut for most of the other european makes as well. European walnut is pretty fine grained.

What kind of car is it? There are a lot of brochures and catalogs online. If you can find one of them for the vehicle, or a forum dedicated to your make, you can probably find out exactly which species.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, I have seen and heard references to walnut over the years, but that was specific to the later models that used the full width dash.
I was cynical because of the color and grain. I haven't worked with much with walnut, but what i have used was much more chocolate brown and had a wilder grain.
I've attached a brochure image from a later model that identifies it as walnut. later dash.jpg
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
If that's walnut, it's been treated in some way to remove the brown/gray color. I agree with those who said it looks like mahogany.

The one in the ad has a grain that could be walnut but no way did any walnut ever have that orange as a natural color.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts