Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t read it, but it has “Works” on the end and on the bottom it has “Ground” something. My daughter says she can see “Jamestown” & “10” and she also thinks its maybe “Saw Works.

So does this look familiar to anybody? Just want to know if I'm wasting my time.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow Thanks acowboy, that looks a lot better. I tried to polish it with automotive polishing compound, but it didn't work so well. I wish I could find a photo list of engraving trademarks then it be easy to compare it with something without having to actually read it.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I probably will keep it because it used to be my favorite saw before it got dull. I liked it because it felt good and was small enough to fit in my old tool box.

A little story about it was once I needed it in a very small tight attic space to cut an opening to run conduit for a job I was doing. When I got back from the job I realized that I forgot it in the attic, but it was too far to travel back. Then about 2 ½ years later new owners called me back for another job and when I went into the attic it was still there right where I left it. So for me it has a little history plus it was a saw I inherited from my dad.:smile:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Might try taking the photo with no flash, outdoors with just regular ambient light.
Photo's sometimes pick up more detail than the regular eye can see, might also try a couple of different angles also.
Might help out a little more.;)
And your welcome, would love to see what someone come's up with...

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did take it outside in sun light and actually took a few pictures, but the two I posted wear the best of them all.

This is what my daughter can make out or what she thinks it is:
“Saw Works”, “Jamestown NY”, "made from special steel", "patent ground F__sac", "Bottom". She also sees “1PI” and “St_te”. I can’t see any of that.

·
7,222 Posts
How about trying to raise the etch.

This very informative article was in a recent thread on saw restoration.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/bSmalser/nlOldSaw/nlOldSaw3.asp

Page 3 of the article has the details.
To raise an etch, first avoid sanding it without using a sanding block when you clean the saw. Then degrease after buffing using mineral spirits followed by stronger trichloroethylene, and apply cold gun blue from a sporting goods store to the area of the etch. Follow the instructions on the bottle for curing and oiling.
After the blue cures, simple rubbing with a sanding block and 600-grit wet-or-dry paper lubed with WD-40 or honing oil will reveal any etch remaining. All these bluing solutions will rust if not oiled, some badly, so don’t omit it.
I then phosphate blue the entire blade, using the procedures I detail in a previous article on rust proofing tools. This type of blue applies a layer of rust-inhibiting phosphate to the steel, which also slightly fills the scratches and grinding marks present, making the blade a bit slipperier.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.tias.com/8600/PictPage/1921146789.html

This saw is made by moore brothers saw works. Check out this link above. It shows someone who gives a description of the saw very similar to yours.
Wow, I think your right. everything in the description seems to fall in place. I guess I'll try to raise the etch like Dave mentioned to be sure, but I think it is.
Thanks Manco :thumbsup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
No problem. I didn't see what the going price was but if you do get it cleaned and polished it could be worth $100 or more considering everything else is fairly sound.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No problem. I didn't see what the going price was but if you do get it cleaned and polished it could be worth $100 or more considering everything else is fairly sound.
If you click on the picture to enlarge it, it said $107

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Wow Thanks acowboy, that looks a lot better. I tried to polish it with automotive polishing compound, but it didn't work so well. I wish I could find a photo list of engraving trademarks then it be easy to compare it with something without having to actually read it.
Tryy rubbing qomething likw chalk over the engraving. It will ctch more in the engraving then in the scratches.

George

PSW Typog on this mini computer is tough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts