Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a baby girl about a year old. I would like to build her a keep sake. Now i live in Mass and she in Ga so it has to be mailed. Any ideas?

·
The New Guy
1,199 Posts
She is a girl. Girls tend to accumulate jewelry. You could make her a jewelry box even though she won't get much use out of it at at 1 year old. It will stick with her as she grows up.

·
7,222 Posts
She is a girl. Girls tend to accumulate jewelry. You could make her a jewelry box even though she won't get much use out of it at at 1 year old. It will stick with her as she grows up.
Agree. You did say keep sake and not toy.

To build on the jewelry box suggestion my wife is able to print on special ornaments, tiles, mugs. She has some boxes for the tiles, but they are cheap Asian imports.

If you get a picture of the girl I can have my wife make up a tile for you to insert in a box you make.

The tiles are in various shapes and sizes. PM me if you are interested.

If you are careful on how to mount the tile, this could be replaced with new picture or tile as the girl grows up.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Perhaps make her a special Christmas tree ornament, if you celebrate such things.
I have done my best to find some annual and unique ornament for both my D1 and D2.
30-somethings now, they can recite the story which goes with each ornament
when they get the chance to visit me and set up a real tree that we cut in the real forest.
D1 is left handed so she decorates the left side of the tree, D2 is RH and does her part.
Me? I get to sit and watch for a bit of a rest before I start cooking again!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts

+1 here she will treasure it for life :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: MasterSplinter

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Yeah, do the jewellry box. Her husband will despise you for life if she develops G.A.S.
I have a jewellry box. Old stuff = belt buckles, cufflinks, rings, medallions. Everybody
needs a place to keep those things. Otherwise they get diluted with the battle of life.

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
I should check your work to see what sort of work you do.

Are you a turner or a flat worker?

I like Dave's idea with the picture tiles. A slight spin on it - have multiple tiles which can be printed on over the years to tell the story of her life or what is important to her.

Even a toy can be a keep sake. I have a hand stitched felt horse my grandmother made for me on her death bed, I was 8 weeks old when she died.

A wooden rattle with a captive ring is a nice thing for a young child

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
Some kind of box that takes multiple tiles sounds. Ive seen what Dave's wife does, there are all sorts of shaped tiles she can do or even glass

1 - 13 of 13 Posts