Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Woodenboat Builder
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I'd really like to take some time and build the gifts I give my staff. I currently have 14 deputies working for me and five of those are women. I'm tossing around a bunch of ideas, but would love it if I could get some suggestions from the group here.

I have the basic tools (Table saw, miter saw, router table, band saw, rotary tools, hand saws, drill press)

Would anyone care to toss out ideas that could be built for around $25 each with about 90 minutes or so in labor each? It's OK to build one gift for each of the ladies and another gift for each of the men.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions:thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Photo albums. It's basically a flat piece of board with the right dimensions to add pre-made photo album sheets. I've done several in the 12x12 size that the "scrapbooker" types seem to like. Different woods for different people, woodburn/carve cover art. Cut out options to make parts of the first page visible, etc etc.

I glue mine up from strips about 1/2 inch wide and make them about 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch thick for each cover (front and back). I've used leather, yarn, silk thread, and binder clips as the binder clip portion of the book. If you want to be really fancy you can also give it a full leather binding to cover the binding edge of the sheets, which helps with "stability" but involves a little more work.

Also a completely unisex gift, though I do find the ladies tend to be more "ooh and ahh" than the men who receive them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Lock Box

If by deputies you mean Police Officers some small table top lock boxes maybe a nice idea. When you get home whats the first thing your do? You lock away your fire arm and maybe your badge and what not. A simple yet elegant lockable box to set on a table by your entry way is a nice and safe idea. I even bolted mine to the table itself just to ensure it never has an opprotunity to "walk away".

·
Registered
140 Posts
cutting boards

oh yeah and if you are doing cutting boards and they are for the ladies, make them small and say they are cheese cutting boards. I swear this works every time, takes less work and less supplies and just by specifying they are for cutting cheese the woman think its a better idea. Go figure.

·
Woodenboat Builder
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Batons or pipes to "destroy" confiscated evidence while on break.
:laughing: ........ except no:eek:

I'm liking the idea of making some nice wooden pistol cases to lock away their weapon at the end of the day. All the ideas are good though, I guess I'll decide this weekend when I finally start working on them. :smile:

Thanks again for all the great ideas!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.