Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here.

I've been watching Craigslist for some time now hoping to find a decent TS. I'm just starting a small woodshop, strictly hobbiest stuff for the wife...new cabinets, sewing boxes, blanket chest, etc...Also have grown daughters and some grand children I would like to make things for.

Anyway, I was originally looking at the Rigid R4512 but discarded it due to the alignment problems I have read so much about. Then I found the Delta 36-725 at Lowes, and thought about that one. It's too new to find any reliable info on, so I'll pass on it as well.

Frankly, I would rather wait until I find a good quality saw on CL so I would have something that would last a good long time.

I found this one:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/4282545897.html

but there is no model number listed. I'm concerned about the rust on the top and in the miter channels.

Also it seems a bit pricey at $850. I'm not against paying that much for a TS, as long as it's worth it. For just $500 more I could get a brand new Jet Proshop with a 52"fence, but if the used saw is a good deal, I can save the money for a better router.

So, any opinions out there?

Thanks

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Don't know the model. But I'd be hard pressed to spend 500 on that saw.

Stamped steel wings means it's likely a lower end model.....

For 850 ish you can get the craftsman 22116 which is a much better saw than the one shown in my opinion. The craftsman has a better top, better fence and a riving knife.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
By the way....the upgraded model of the r4512 is the craftsman 21833....bigger motor and a few other upgrades. They haven't had alignment issues in a few years now and they're on sale for 459 right now online.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the Jet in the CL listing was over-priced. I want a good saw that's going to last.
Thanks for the tip on the 22116. I'll look into that one as well. I've lost a lot of faith in Craftsman over the years so I have to admit I'll be hard pressed to buy a TS from them without being able to actually lay my hands on it.
I'm in no huge hurry so I'll keep watching CL and saving up. I missed out on a Unisaw for $1200 week before last. It sold within an hour of posting.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Most sears stores have a 22116 on hand to look at, it's built by steel city and one of the few good pieces sears has left. I have one and Short of a sawstop, doubt I'd trade it for any other brand.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It was less than $600 new.....worth $250-$300 used. Steel wings, no riving knife, outboard motor, basic fence, no warranty. $850 is nuts.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think they changed to white in 2000-so that is a 15 yr old saw- be patient -you can get a cabinet saw for that much.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
First, the blue was before the white paint.
Second, condition is ridden hard, put away wet and not taken care of.
Third, I would almost bet an estate sale score and now trying to make an even more score.
Fourth, Jet sold two models of the same saw, one with stamped wings and one with cast iron wings. Not much difference between the two saws. (I had the one with cast iron.)

The jet is similar to the JET JWTS-10JF model. It was the last model with splayed legs. Maybe I've had my cabinet saw too long and been out of the market but I wouldn't pay $250 for that saw on CL.

Tom Hintz has done a review / test /evaluation of the saw.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetsaw.html

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Monty - If you're still following this thread, the seller said they'd sell that Jet for $300 if picked up this week. Much more reasonable than $850.

"...If you will pick it up this week, I'll sell it to you for the $300. It is in excellent condition...."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I found a very nice Grizzly that really is in excellent condition for $350, no cleaning required. I won't be able to pick it up for a couple of weeks because of my work schedule but the owner is holding it for me. I'll post some pics of it when I get it home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts