Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am a NCO in the United States Army and prior to going into the military I was a custom framer for multi-million dollar homes in Arizona with a company called Callahan development. here is me building one of the exposed overhangs

Since joining the military I have been asked to build numerous items but have mostly refused to continue to build. Recently a friend and fellow NCO passed away and the desire to build was started once again. Since then its been business is booming. I will include some of the stuff I did prior to these as well. I think this thread will just continue till someone tells me to stop!

Here is to you Sergeant Scott Salcedo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1SG Gwin

Here is to your career 1SG Gwin

more to come when I get back to work on this!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unisaw!

I finally found a 1 phase 220/110 unisaw in great shape (internally) for 300.00! Snatched it up instantly!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks cabinetman, where you an NCO in SFG?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanks to you guys for the support, I really have so much to learn, in my eyes im a hack at best compared to some of you guys. I plan to do this for the next 60 years so hopefully I can learn a thing or two. If you guys can provide any advice on how to improve my work let me know.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I've joined several woodworking forums along the way and find myself keeping up with this one the most. Great bunch of guys and even a gal or two hang out here. One thing we all have plenty of is opinions and if you ask we will be happy to share them while insisting ours is the only true way to do things. Just remember that in woodworking there are usually at least 10 different ways to end up with exactly the same result. The trick is to find what works best for you and branch out from there into things you have not yet tried to do.

You'll also find a bunch of former NCOs hanging around too. I was an E6 when I left the Army after 9 years service (2 of them in Nam). My step son is currently an E6 in the Army stationed in Missouri (2 tours in Afghanistan and 1 in Iraq) and he tells me that things have changed drastically since my day. I also have a daughter who is an E6 in the Air Force currently stationed in Korea after a year in Iraq.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I definitely am on the hunt for the NCO's out there. Good to see so many find carpentry, I don't expect to see many officers due to the fact most don't like to get their hands dirty....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
building a bar for a friend

So I built a bar for a favor, I had no Idea how I was going to do it. The guy I built it for was my old 1SG and he was way over budget at his little restaurant he was opening, so I decided to help him out even though I had never built a bar before, I figured its all wood right... All I had on hand was my MAG 77 skill saw, a dewalt drill, a old crappy router and a black and Decker rotary sander i grabbed from home depot at the last min. With all these horrible circumstances I figured this was going to be an absolute abortion... The end state was the nicest $1,000.00 50' long bar I could have ever imagined, (the guy had a 1,000.00 budget max)... :boat:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here are a few other projects I completed a few years back.

Chain of command board

Cutting board from scraps of the chain of command board topped with some mineral oil

The masons found me....

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Thanks for your service and thanks for sharing your work. I'm no master myself, but I like what I see in your work. I feel your pain about your lack of heat. I am freezing my butt off here in Key Largo. It got down below 70F last night. I might have to wear socks.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Thanks for your service and thanks for sharing your work. I'm no master myself, but I like what I see in your work. I feel your pain about your lack of heat. I am freezing my butt off here in Key Largo. It got down below 70F last night. I might have to wear socks.
Same here. It was a "cold front".

1 - 20 of 44 Posts