Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hello,

A quick intro.: I'm brand new here and equally as new to woodworking but I'll give it a go and see what's what.
I come from the UK but find myself living in Indonesia. As there are so few bars or, indeed, anything noteworthy in the city I live, I've decided to take up a hobby to keep me amused on the weekends.
First things first, I need a bench (better than balancing wood on beer crates, I suppose). So here's my first ever project that is nearing completion. Quite a bit rough and not very pretty but it'll do for starters, eh?
I kinda' wish I'd discovered this site a while ago; you guys could've given me a few pointers on what I need and how to build it.
:smile:

So... I'm sure I'll have lots of foolish questions for you all in the coming months but at least it'll make you guys all feel superior.

Cheers,

J

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Welcome Jonathan. Nice bench! That's some pretty exotic looking wood for a workbench. Is there an abundance of nice woods available there?

·
Registered
92 Posts
JW...Nice bench, it is a bit of a contrast to the bench in the background. Mortise and tennon, dovetails, laminated top You have taken the common work bench to a new level. This is not your first time using tools I can see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments.
Joesdad: It's rather ironic but, seeing as Indonesia has so much wood and lumber (unfortunately not all of it legally or sustainably managed), I found it difficult to get decent wood -- everything is done poorly and this wood was still twisting, turning and leaking sap for a LONG LONG time.
And shops around here don't have thicknesser planners! Sweaty work, hand planning at 35 degrees C!
I've no idea what wood it is.... the guys at the shop told me but they're types of tropical trees I've never heard of (probably they use a local name that us Westerners are unfamiliar with). I'll try to find out more in the future about the Indonesian wood. Maybe someone on this site knows a thing or two.

J

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LarySch: I can now count the different types of joints I've made on one hand. Think I'll need to learn a few more in the comming months :)

Youngman: I've used tools such as hammers and saws before... but this is really the first thing I've built. Erm... English Benchseat will be the second project once the bench is up and running.

J

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice looking sturdy bench you've made Johnathan. Looking forward to seeing your benchseat. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome to the site Johnathan!
The only foolish questions are the ones you don't ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts