Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Everyone-

First, this is my first post to this forum. Second, it's been quiet here for a while, so I thought I would share an experience I just had.

I cut down an ash tree today- about 14" dia. about 50' tall, I'm guessing 50 yrs. old. There was a crotch about 16' above the ground where it split into two legs. I was cutting this tree for fire wood. When I got to the crotch part, I started cutting about 6" below where the two legs split off. I got about half way through the log when the saw quit cutting. There was no sawdust and the R.P.M.'s increased. I said to myself "Oh Rats- I hit something". The chain was trashed, so I put a new one on and cut the other side of the log until I thought I was near the obstruction. Then I split the the log with a sledge hammer.

Inside was a stone, about the size of a ping-pong ball- imbedded with 6 or more inched of wood all around it. It must have been there for years.

The moral of this story is- no matter how carefully you check for problems, if it's nails, bolts, barbed wire, bullets or what ever you have found in the logs, you will never find everything. At some point you will wreck a chain or saw blade.

Ken

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've had several of those experiences--mostly with nails, a couple of bullets, and a rock too--'cept it was down low in the tree, close to the root stock.
Dave H

·
Registered
146 Posts
About 15 years ago I stopped at a farmers yard to ask for permission to look/hunt for arrowheads in his field (one of my hobbies in the spring), he gave us the go head and told me that when he would find one he put them in a crotch of a tree down by the river. I never did find the right tree LOL.:laughing:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.