Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I likee too!
But I'm guessing they're pricey!
I like this quote in the article, "Mind you, unmatched engineering comes at a premium, so these tools are not for everyone."

·
Registered
20 Posts
At the end of the video it said the box of one thousand tenons with the four different sized bits was two hundred dollars. So what is your guess for the price of the tool? Mine = $479.99

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was just at my local Woodcraft store (which stocks a lot of Festool) and asked about it. They didn't even know it existed yet. So I'm sending this link.
My guess $399, with no accessories.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep going up guys:eek:

"The downside for some woodworkers will be the price, estimated at $700 for the basic kit with one 5mm cutter, and another $200 for a starter kit that includes four cutters (5mm through 10mm) and over 1,000 tenons in various sizes."

·
Registered
86 Posts
WOW, they aren't shy.
I guess when you have a premium product you don't have to apologize for the price.
This might be a little over the top though.

·
Registered
789 Posts
This really makes me think about specialty tools in general...for instance, in my business, which we do a lot of steel work, we use 16 gauge nibblers to cut panels..and Kett shears or similar to cut straight runs....so anyway, the nibbler will cut over ribs, burnish the cut, and leave a nice edge depending on operator skill...and these things are pricey....some models up to a $1000....dies can run for most makes up to $200 a set, and they are good for about 300 feet of cutting.....If everyone bought and used these specialty cutters, they would be as cheap as recip saws are now...but since only tradesmen use them, the bottom of the line Hitachi goes for $400, and $40 for the dies, to Fein, at over a grand......and we have to have them, but I don't have to have the tenon cutter...thankfully.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is right there in black and white. $700.
I own and use festool products and can't say enough good things about them. I might wait on this one though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't see it in black and white. But if the package of tenons and the cutter are $700.00, then my guess of $479.00 isn't to far off figuring $200 for the box of stuff means $500 for the tool.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
It is right there in black and white. $700.
Billy is right, it is right there in the article itself. Ya just have to read it. ;)

I did read it too, weeks ago when we got the sneak preview as a subscriber of the "Online Extras" available to subscribers of FW.

I don't usually go in for stuff like that, but Taunton almost always does things right. As an Online Extra subscriber, you get to see actual videos of new tools like the Festool being discussed here. You get to see them before they are released to the general woodworking public and you are also privy to a ton of other very worthwhile cudos.

I highly recommend subscribing. Vidoes are free for three months to OE subscribers and after that become premium content for FW sunscribers. If you didn't get to go to the 2006 IWF, and want to see the new tools for the 2007 IWF in action before anyone else, don't sweat it. You get to watch all kinds of videos of the tools just as if you were there.

There are extra tool reviews (tons) not in the magazine, plans for jigs, furniture, articles on planning out your shop better, discussions on everything from proper dust collection to interviews with James Krenov, one of my woodworking heroes second only to perhaps "Sam". No last name needed for "Sam" is there fellas. ;)
There really is too much to list and you can't appreciate all they give you for the price. Even though I don't remember what that price was, I know it was worth it.

As for the Festool machine being discussed, is there any new cool tool that we don't want? :shifty:

FW owes me some coin for all this free publicity.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think i will just use a morticer and cut biscuit ot fit out of ply. seems just as quick and easy to me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Where's the "Your only half a woodworker if you don't master hand cutting M&T's first" guy or does that only apply to DT's?
Looks like a good tool and it definately would have it's place in a shop.
I haven't owned any Festool's but have been looking at that saw with the straightedge.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I wasn't trying to slam you. :no:

I can't tell what is in your avatar, but it looks like powermatic tan, or whatever you call their color. It's sitting on a trailer looks like. You can't see what is pulling the trailer but if Pontiac made trucks i bet it would be a Widetrack hooked up to that trailer.
So now there's 2 questions for ya.
1) What's on the trailer? and
2) What's pullin the trailer?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think there is a time and place for making joints by hand but nowadays the world is in a big hurry , and everyone wants it yesterday . especially my wife..

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wasn't trying to slam you. :no:

I can't tell what is in your avatar, but it looks like powermatic tan, or whatever you call their color. It's sitting on a trailer looks like. You can't see what is pulling the trailer but if Pontiac made trucks i bet it would be a Widetrack hooked up to that trailer.
So now there's 2 questions for ya.
1) What's on the trailer? and
2) What's pullin the trailer?
I can see where it looks like something is on a trailer but it's actually a staircase I built a few months ago. You can better see it in the Trim Carpentry and Builtin thread under "job photos"
And yes if Pontiac made a truck it would be pulling my trailer....
I guess I need to resize or get a better avatar

1 - 20 of 34 Posts