Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the flu this week so I have spent a lot of time in my bed that I finished building last month. While laying there, I heard something in the headboard, like chomping on a potato chip (at barely audible levels) in 1 second intervals. After making sure none of my children were there, I really have been focusing in on it and I believe there is some sort of bug critter in there, above my head that is eating the wood. The lumber is 2 year, air dried pin oak. I see 2 options: 1. maybe using a stethoscope, locate the wood muncher and dig him out from the back side. or 2. Have the bed kiln dried. I am not sure what the kiln drying process will do to the finish or the integrity of the assembly, or even where to get that done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
it could just be internal stresses making noise. is there bug evidence other than the noise (e.g. holes, sawdust on floor) ? you could try the old mechanic trick of a long screwdriver with handle placed against your ear and tip on the bed.

·
Registered
26,965 Posts
Bed bugs?

Are you sure it is in the bed and not inside the wall or attic. A mouse or squirrel may be in there. Anyway a dry kiln would run the bed if you could find one that would do it.

If the wood is two years old I doubt if there was any live bugs in the wood large enough to make a sound you can hear. Probably your easiest solution if you can determine if there is insects there is to call an exterminator.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There could most definitely be something eating the wood. My parents log cabin has tiny beetles in the 20+ year old timbers, and it sounds exactly like you describe; somebody tiny eating a tiny potato chip at regular intervals. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of options. One, and probably the easiest, would be to heat the whole shebang in a lumber kiln. I'll let others smarter than I chime on on the effects on the finish, but you'll probably have to refinish.
Two, you could.. Actually, that's the only reasonable way I can think of. :)

What we were told with my parent's house is that while annoying with the little piles of sawdust, they don't actually do that much structural damage. It'll be many many years before your bed falls apart from them, if you don't go mad with the noise first.

Acer

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think Steve is on the money, if you're worried about bugs you should just bring in an exterminator to verify. They would know if the whole house needs treated or if they can just bag up the bed and gas them to death or what have you.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Sounds as if you may have a wood boring beetle in there, a big one which can be one of several species. If the wood was not immediately stored in-doors after cutting, this is very likely.

In most Hard Wood lumber, once the wood dries beyond 10%, they do not survive, but in some species they continue to thrive. I had this experience with English Walnut and ended up disposing of several 4/4 boards.

The cheapest solution is to remove the piece, enclose it in plastic sheeting taped up and spray fumigation chemicals into this tent before sealing for a couple of weeks. You can google, several products are available.

BTW, the Walnut I had to dispose of was infested to the extent where it sounded like a party going on inside there. Our normal house contracted exterminator doing his six monthly inspection was not really qualified to identify the exact pest without more work, as this is not a normal residential situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts