Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
John
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wallbash:I think I over thunk this thing and think I did myself in. I was concerned about the deflection issues noted in some of the reviews so I went and ordered two of the 55" eureka tracks and 3 connectors (eureka offers a center connector in addition to the two side connectors). I then ordered the Makita SP6000J plunge saw to go with the system. I went to dry fit it together today and it doesn't look like it wants to play together very nicely.
If I don't use the universal base from eureka, the cut would be about 2" from the edge of the track... so much for zero offset. If I use the universal base, I need to put holes in the base of the new saw (not a big deal, just not to excited about it), 45° angle puts the saw into the edge of the base.
Anyone else try this particular combination? What issues/workarounds came up? Just return the eureka and pick up the Makita tracks? That will likely eat my lunch on shipping.:icon_cry:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
With no particular input on your current dilemma, I think you may be wrong on the outrageous shipping. I bought a 118" (somewhere around that dimension) track and it was shipped free. So I guess I;'d look around at what deals you can find on the Makita track (doesn't that saw fit the Dewalt track?) and then decide.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With no particular input on your current dilemma, I think you may be wrong on the outrageous shipping. I bought a 118" (somewhere around that dimension) track and it was shipped free. So I guess I;'d look around at what deals you can find on the Makita track (doesn't that saw fit the Dewalt track?) and then decide.
Hi Fred - My experience has been that return shipping almost always costs me more than I was charged to get it. Presumably because I cannot get the commercial discounts from UPS or whoever. Kind of a fact of life when you live in the sticks. I'm thinking I may just bite the bullet and set up the Eureka tracks for my Milwaukee saw and see what I can do on getting the Makita tracks. I don't think the deWalt tracks connect, they have tracks of several lengths and I really don't need to figure out storage for 10' tracks.:blink:
Anyway, thanks for the response. :smile:

·
7,222 Posts
I purchased a Eureka track around 10 years ago, shortly after he started to sell his wares.

I used this as a straight edge with my circular saw. I did not want to drill holes in my circular saw base, a DeWalt, so I used double sided tape to mount the saw. Worked for me. If you want a really sturdy tape, I can send you some of my double sided turners tape.

Have you considered making your own base, or did you want to use Eureka's base for zero clearance?

·
where's my table saw?
29,623 Posts

·
John
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the come back guys. I kinda want to use the Eureka base for the zero clearance. I don't have a problem putting holes in the base of my Milwaukee. It already has a couple to mount the zero clearance edge guide I made after getting disgusted with a Kreg Rip Cut. I thought about a zero clearance jig like woodnthings proposed but, again, storage of a long jig put me off that. I have the AIO clamp in the Amazon link and it needs to be stored on the porch of the house. The old Milwaukee saw was purchased back in the early 80's and is still a beast, I've had no reason to upgrade it. The only thing about it is it is a drop foot design rather than a pivot foot. Works well, just a little tricky to plunge with, which is what the Makita is designed for. Looks like I will end up with two track saw setups; one with the Makita saw and one with the Milwaukee. Oh well, guess you can't have to many tools.:laughing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts