Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I am putting at least 4-6 hours in the shop this weekend, maybe more. It has been weeks since I did anything in there and the last thing I was doing was learning/doing scary sharpening on my chisels and plane irons. While I have not finished all of the sharpening, I have to get back to my jewelry box project. It has been over a month since I have worked on it and I want to get it done, so I can start another project.

I have been side tracked with my mom in town for an extended visit, plus work. No more excuses. I am going to do a quick clean up and then back to the box.

I am writing this more as a motivation for me. Time to get back into the swing.

Where I left off.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Paul,

I'm doing the same thing this weekend.

I plan to:

Make progress on a turning tool case for my ex girlfriends ex husband (long story but he's not the ogre she would have had me believe). Life is just freakish sometimes. Chuckle.

Measure up and buy hardware and materials for a new gate for my Mom. I've been putting this off for a while because my Dad (now deceased) built the existing gate but after 30+ years it really needs to be replaced.

Buy some 1x oak and start a Mis en Place board as a gift for my nephew-in-law who recently graduated from culinary school.

I've worked the last three weekends so I've decided that this one is mine.
All mine!

Shoptime is good for my soul!

Edit:

Sorry I almost forgot. That's a beautiful box. What is the material on the top. It looks like some kind of stone inlay.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Reactions: Paul W Gillespie

·
Registered
652 Posts
man i hate that..get a good start on a project than the next idea comes to mind and your chomping at the bit to get it going..been here many many times :laughing:,
i nearly have my unisaw ready for action, so my plans for the shop weekend include some cleaning, hopefully getting the R4512 out of there so i have room to begin the next project
keep us updated on the progress of your current project, looks sharp so far :thumbsup:

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,373 Posts
Sometimes, life gets in the way of our hobby. Don't sweat it. Part of the enjoyment of woodworking is being able to squeeze in a little time whenever you can. Good luck in the shop this weekend Paul. I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce in the time you spend in there.
:thumbsup:

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress too. I'm hoping to get in my shop too. This is the first weekend the LOML hasn't planned anything in a few weeks now. So this is my weekend too. Happy shop time, lol.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK went to the flea market today and found a Disston No4 Back Saw for a buck. I am counting this as partial credit towards my shop time. I did manage to spend about an hour and a half cleaning up the shop and getting ready for my next step in the project. I then stopped because I don't want to do this next step. It is sanding and I hate it. I will do it tomorrow. Then once through sanding, I have to glue the lid pieces together and then most likely, sand them. I then move onto building the drawers.

As a side note, once this project is done, I think it is time for another shop project. I need tool/supply storage. I want to build a flip top cart for my planer and OSS. Plus some cabinets. I am also debating a shop re-arranging to better use the space.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bret, but I am just building it. Can't take credit for the design. It is from Wood Magazine plans, I believe. She is coming along slowly.

·
amateur
235 Posts
Four to six hours? I am jealous, very jealous. Good luck with that goal and I hope you make it :smile:

Coincidentally, I am building the same box. I am building one for my wife and one for....? I haven't figured that one out yet. You are a bit further on than I am though. I've just started on the lid. Yours looks quite nice. What is the accent wood?

If you don't mind me asking, what flea markets do you frequent? I would like to hit some up, but don't want to waste my time driving hither and yon for knicknacks and dried flowers.

Thanks.

Greg

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greg, not sure if I am hitting my goal. Gonna try to get some more time in there today. I started this project around May 1st and it is taking some time to get her done. It was very ambitious of me to take it on as my third wood shop project. Not sure if you saw my build thread for this one here.

The wood I am using is padauk and curly maple. I had the padauk and the wenge the plan called for was too expensive at this point for me to possibly butcher. This was also the first time I was using boards bought in the rough, that had to be jointed and plane square.

As far as flea markets go I only know of one near me and I am not sure it is worth the trip from Montgomery Village. It is called Brumwell's and is in Pasadena, MD. It is not that big and a little far from you, but hey check it out and see if you like it. I have found some stuff, but more often than not, I come home empty handed. Where do you go in your area?

If you have time and a camera post a pic or two of your boxes here. I would love to see your progress. Also follow my build thread if you feel like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts