Woodworking Talk banner

I Should Introduce Myself.

4K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Jim Dunn 
#1 ·
Since I snuck in a checked things out, I have liked what I've found. My name is Stew or Radar and I've been working with wood off and on for over 20 years. I own a manual sawmill and am working on cutting the wood for my house. I work on a lathe, tablesaw, general hand tools, etc. I spent several years working as the supervisor of a cabinet and trim shop making and installing European style cabinets. I also spent many years in the commercial and residential construction industry (mostly framing). I'm always learning new things about wood from different people...I guess that's one reason I like this forum; there is a chance to learn from many different people.

#8 ·
This is the error I get. At first, the images were too big, but after resizing them I still get the error:

Unable to read the format of file: /usr/home/wood/public_html/showcase/data/500/Bowl-Beech-02.jpg

I think I know the problem. I'll try to get in there and fix it today.

Thanks for letting me know :thumbsup:

#7 ·
It looks like you re trying to upload from a web address? If so that doesn't look like a good address upo front, but I am no computer guy either.
try uploading the images from your computer by clicking browse and them uploading the file.
You may already be doing that like I said i am no MIT computer major.
I always have better luck uploading from my coomputer than my website.

#10 ·
I tried uploading again, now I get a different error.

Error creating thumbnail! Error code: 127

Command:

"/usr/local/bin/mogrify" +profile "*" -size 100x75 -quality 70 -geometry 100x75 -unsharp 10 '/usr/home/wood/public_html/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Bowl-Beech-03a.jpg'

#16 ·
Welcome Stew, St. Mary's Georgia here.

Attachments

#21 ·

Hello everyone, I hope to be helped and help as the case may be. I currently work in St. Louis, MO. and live in Salem, OR. I commute each week, coming up on Sunday morning and going back to work in St. Louis on Thursday. Needless to say I have had little time for woodworking. I am retiring from American Airlines in January 2013 so I can finally spend time making sawdust and maybe a little salmon fishing. This is my second retirement, I spent twenty years as a paramedic/firefighter in St. Louis.
My wife and I purchased the home in Oregon because it has a sewing/quilting room for her and an extra oversize two car garage in back of the three car garage in the front of the house for my woodworking.
I am currently building a new workbench designed after the maple and purpleheart bench from swiger woodworks, mine is 28"x82" and is european beech and purpleheart. The top and trestle base are done and I should be able to start the purpleheart apron next week when I get back up here. I can't wait to stop the 4600 mile round trip weekly commute.
When I get the boxes unpacked and equipment put up I will post pics.

#22 ·
Hello, I am sammy. I would like to start repairing old furniture in my spare time. Never worked with cutting tools, so I would like to figure out how to fix and not replace if possible. My first project will be a 3 piece redwood outdoor set. The arms are a little chewed up. I thought about using wood filler, but have been told it usually doesn't stain properly. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

#26 · (Edited)
Jim Dunn

Just an old man that enjoys woodworking and chating with others that respect wood and the items that can be produced and admired. Like to build anything useful such as cabinets for the kitchen or maybe a grandfathers clock and a lot of things between. Not much of what I consider a craftsman, just like to learn to use different tools. Shop is loaded with old tools that I bought at sales over the years. Enjoy reading about projects of others.

Most of my wood has come from logs that I harvested on my farm and took to mills to be sawed into boards. Have bought a few better logs for special projects. Lucky enough to have such a stock pile that I won't outlive.

Located in central Delaware.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.