Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
advertisements. But the dynamic, expanding banners just above the forum topics is very irritating. I frequently will accidentally move across the edges of the banner and it expands by 1/3 the size of my screen.

Is there anyway I can disable it?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
advertisements. But the dynamic, expanding banners just above the forum topics is very irritating. I frequently will accidentally move across the edges of the banner and it expands by 1/3 the size of my screen.

+1 on that !!! It is REALLY annoying and seems to be a new problem. I don't remember seeing these giant pop-ups before.

·
7,222 Posts

I "experienced" the same problem when I started using a new computer with Windows 8.

I ended up installing Ad-block. This works with my Firefox browser. Not sure of other browsers.

https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Thank you Dave.

As of right now it is working like a champ.

Who knows a week from now.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ad-block is the way to go. Eliminates all unwanted ads.

Grab Ghostery while you're at it. It blocks all the tracking cookies.

·
7,222 Posts
Thank you Dave.

As of right now it is working like a champ.

Who knows a week from now.
You are welcome. Someone else deserves the credit, the forum member who recommended this in an earlier thread, perhaps Woodnthings.

I tolerated the ads in Windows XP since they were benign, just sat there.

One I got the Windows 8 computer, with whatever technology causes the ads to consume the screen just by the cursor going over the ad, it did not take me long to look for Ad-block. Too intrusive and more than annoying.

FYI, it is looks to have stopped working, first thing to look at is whether somehow the ad-in has been disabled.

I will not be surprised if some future script looks for Ad-block and disables it.

·
Registered
12,601 Posts
Lately I have been having so many problems with Internet Explorer and Firefox that I have started using AOL as my browser on this site. NEVER any add problems with AOL. In fact NO adds show. It is also much more stable.

I used to uuse AOL only for email, now I am starting to also use it as a browser.

George

·
Registered
611 Posts
I like the iPad app for the board pretty much. The experience is exceedingly clean. However, I hate typing on the iPad. It I so slow and I makes sew many spelling errors htT it discourages mr from posting.

Hm. Some of you might think that is a good thing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I understand the need for ads, but like you I think the ones that cause the page to push down and back up are just way too intrusive and annoying. I haven't used ad blocking tools in over a few years, but WWT just encouraged me to change that. Now all their ads are blocked when before there were a number that mildly interested me that I intentionally clicked to find out more while helping out WWT just a bit.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I’m glad you brought this up because I find that it also affect my typing. I’ll be typing and the box is moving around and my letters are going all over the place. Then I have to figure out where everything goes or what the heck was I trying to say.
I hate those expanding ads. .

·
Registered
12,601 Posts
Let me expand on my earlier posting.

I think your problem is caused by your browser/computer. It is not a forum problem. I computer that I am typing this on is a different (notebook) computer and have I NO problems on this computer. The computer I was having problems is now in the shop for an overhaul.

George

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Let me expand on my earlier posting.

I think your problem is caused by your browser/computer. It is not a forum problem. I computer that I am typing this on is a different (notebook) computer and have I NO problems on this computer. The computer I was having problems is now in the shop for an overhaul.

George
Well that’s definitely not the case for me. It’s on every computer even my work Laptop and it its always the same ad, Timberland work Boots.

I also get it with some other ads on ABC and NBC. Actualy I just heard the LA KFI Radio guys complaining about it last week I think it was.

If you are not getting it on one of your computers, then I wonder if there is a setting inside the browser to turn it off.

·
7,222 Posts
I’m glad you brought this up because I find that it also affect my typing. I’ll be typing and the box is moving around and my letters are going all over the place. Then I have to figure out where everything goes or what the heck was I trying to say.
I hate those expanding ads. .
I also hate the expanding ads. :thumbdown:

Two things may be happening simultaneously.

a) The ad is consuming a lot of the CPU time. This means what you type is not immediately able to be written. I bet you are losing some of the letters or words you type. This was happening to me. Driving me crazy until I realised that my second browser window was on EBay and this site is constantly polling/refreshing the screen. I clicked to another site and then I was able to type as normal.

b) The expanding ads cause the active window in which you are typing to be moved elsewhere on the page. If the ad or some other script is consuming too much CPU then the computer is not able to repaint the active window as fast as you want.

I think you need to try installing an ad-blocker.

To confirm if CPU is being hogged by an application, open up Task Manager (part of Cntrl + Alt + Del). The Processes tab will show what % of CPU time is used by what process. Sort descending and the process consuming the most CPU will be at the top. In my case it was FireFox consuming over 90% of CPU time due to the EBay scripts.

·
Registered
12,601 Posts
That boot add is at the top of this page right now. It does not expand unless I stop the cursor on it for a couple of seconds or more. Even when expanded it does not interfere with any of the forum content.

George

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I also hate the expanding ads. :thumbdown:

I think you need to try installing an ad-blocker
...............In my case it was FireFox consuming over 90% of CPU time due to the EBay scripts.
I haven’t tried Ad blockers mainly because I don’t trust most stuff that’s free on the internet.

Also I’ve been noticing weird things happening in FireFox with my email and can’t put my finger on it exactly, but I’m thinking about switching to IExplorer to see if things change.

That boot add is at the top of this page right now. It does not expand unless I stop the cursor on it for a couple of seconds or more. Even when expanded it does not interfere with any of the forum content.

George
That’s the way it works on mine if I wait until everything loads up and calms down, but I’m usually multitasking and too quick to respond.

The worst is when I’m reading news articles and have to scroll down to keep up with the expanding ads and then they collapse causing me to scroll back up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been thinking about buying a banner ad for my company, but if because of ads that cause problems many users are using an ad blocker, it may not be worth the cost.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave pointed me to a solution ...

I ended up installing Ad-block. This works with my Firefox browser. Not sure of other browsers. Dave gave me this link.

Not only does it stop the banner at the top, but it also kills all the ones around the side of the page. So now all that distracting animation is gone.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm on a Mac with Firefox, and Ad block did it for me!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I ended up installing Ad-block. This works with my Firefox browser. Not sure of other browsers. Dave gave me this link.

Not only does it stop the banner at the top, but it also kills all the ones around the side of the page. So now all that distracting animation is gone.
I guess I'll have to give this a try Thanks
I'll probably miss all the girls around the side of the page. LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts