Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A morse taper is designed to push not pull. I know many of you know this but thought it worth reminding. A morse taper is designed to be pushed against. When drilling holes on the lathe you should get into a habit of holding the chuck when pulling the drill out. Also clear the drill frequently so it doesn't bind in the hole. this and vibration can loosen the chuck and make it come loose in the tailstock.
I was doing photos for a future article this morning and had to let the drill chuck loose while I worked the camera. I'll be I've done this many times and this is the first time I've ever had it come loose on my. Fortunately it only did repairable damage to the workpiece but as you can see ruined my drill.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Heck!!!! bend it again about an inch back from the tip and you should be able to bore out bowls without using the lathe, LOL!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I would call that a "fixed angle" drill bit. Surprised it bent instead of breaking. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't remember why but years ago I tried to bend a drill bit,possibly to make a tool. I heated it red hot and it still broke. Something about the flutes I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts