Woodworking Talk banner

I need your advice.

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  GeorgeC 
#1 ·
So i'm pretty new to the whole woodworking world. In fact I've never actually completed more than a few projects in my highschool woodshop class. But you all seem like a nice bunch of people, and I would sure appreciate some help/advice.

I'm starting to refinish my Marlin 30AS 30/30. I've sanded off all the old finish, and I've come accross a major chip in the wood. I was thinking about filling it with some wood putty, but I realize that sometimes the stain doesn't hold to the putty. Any suggestions on how I could fill the chip?

Also, I'm trying to find the perfect stain to stain it. I want it to be a dark stain, but I'm not exactly sure what would look the best.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would use an exacto knife or something similar, and carefully whittle out a cleanly shaped recess approximately the same shape as you now have (looks kinda like a teardrop or an oval) and end up with a nice, clean, smooth hole about one quarter inch deep. Then cut a patch out of a piece of similar wood with similar grain slightly larger than the hole. Then cut the patch slightly thicker than the depth of the hole. Now use sandpaper on a wooden block to very slowly and carefully sand the patch down to the correct shape and size. When it is glued in place sand it flush with the stock.

Is that a chip or a recess cut out for a mouted sling?

#7 ·
I would use an exacto knife or something similar, and carefully whittle out a cleanly shaped recess approximately the same shape as you now have (looks kinda like a teardrop or an oval) and end up with a nice, clean, smooth hole about one quarter inch deep. Then cut a patch out of a piece of similar wood with similar grain slightly larger than the hole. Then cut the patch slightly thicker than the depth of the hole. Now use sandpaper on a wooden block to very slowly and carefully sand the patch down to the correct shape and size. When it is glued in place sand it flush with the stock.

Is that a chip or a recess cut out for a mouted sling?
I like this solution, though the others would. One caveat, unless there is a threaded insert inside that hole that cannot be removed.

With this solution you would also plug the hole and carefully drill a new hole after the patch has been made.

George

#3 ·
I understand what you're saying. But I should have clarified this in the original post. I need the hole there for the mounted sling as you suggested. But there is a chip next to it that I wanted to get rid of.

I was wondering if you can tell in this picture but I don't think you can.

Attachments

#5 ·
Mr Peace,
Maybe you could take a piece of the white nylon like what is used for a washer underneath your swivel mount and carefully shape a nice oval and then inlay it into the stock to cover the chipped areas. Then reinstall your swivel mount. In fact, I guess it wouldn't have to be white. Could be black, or even maybe a piece of exotic wood.
Mike Hawkins;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.