Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have small gaps that need to be filled, where two pieces join together.

I have tried wood glue, but it peels away when I sand it, taking away the glue inside of the gap too.

And water putty leaves an indent (it's shrinking?) when I sand it away.

What can I do?
Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I usually get some saw dust from the same wood, mix with glue and rub it into the gap with my finger. A little messy, but you can usually smooth it out and wipe away the excess before it drys. Then sand smooth after a few hours.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I have small gaps that need to be filled, where two pieces join together.

I have tried wood glue, but it peels away when I sand it, taking away the glue inside of the gap too.

And water putty leaves an indent (it's shrinking?) when I sand it away. What can I do?
Thanks.
The easiest fix would be to make joints without gaps. You can use a color coded wood putty, like Famowood. Or, you can do all your finishing, including the topcoat, and use a blend fill pencil (like a crayon), which you just rub on the void, and wipe it off with a clean cloth. It's also made in small bottles. Either the blend fill pencils/sticks, or putty can be intermixed within the brand to achieve a custom color.

·
7,222 Posts
If I am going to be dying the wood, is is better to use solvent or water based wood filler, or does it matter? Thx.
Some wood filler take stain or dye better than others.

I like the Timbermate brand of wood fillers. Available without colour added or pre-coloured.

http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=timbermate wood filler

Easy to apply, low odour and easy to sand off. The product does not go off in the container, which is a big plus for me since I do not need this often.

Apply enough to be proud of the surface. It does not shrink much but it will shrink a little. Allow enough time to cure. I messed up the first time I used this, did not leave enough time and tried to sand. It gummed up the abrasive, tore out.

Once cured it sands easily, feathers well.

If you are staining or dyeing, you will need to test for colour matching. Likely to need a few iterations to get close.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks Dave. I bought som Famowood red oak putty and will use it on a few test pieces to see how it works out. The areas I need to fill are so small it might be irrelevant but it will be a good learning lesson regardless. A little worried about the color matching but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thank you :)

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I've stopped trying to find a decent wood putty. If I screw up and do have a gap, I'll cut a veneer thin strip and fill the gap with glue, immediately tapping the strip in and then sanding it smooth right away. It makes for a invisible joint.

·
Registered
355 Posts
How could I do this with trim though. I routed some trim then used my mitre to cut 45 degree pieces and join them at the corners of my workpiece. They fit well but just itty bitty openings that would satisfy my OCD if it were patched.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Noek said:
How could I do this with trim though. I routed some trim then used my mitre to cut 45 degree pieces and join them at the corners of my workpiece. They fit well but just itty bitty openings that would satisfy my OCD if it were patched.
Slip a tiny sliver into the gap and sand smooth by hand.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Slip a tiny sliver into the gap and sand smooth by hand.
I have a perfect spot where this might work well, so I will give it a try. Thank you!

Wow, this worked very well for me. I used a chisel to sliver out a thin piece, can't believe how easy it was. Thanks Ryan :)

Fitting the sliver:

Hammering it in lightly:

Ready for sanding:

All done! What an awesome technique. There was a gap there the size of the width of a credit card, now it's gone. Super happy. Thanks again Ryan :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.