Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Sorry if these posts are frowned upon. But there are so many offerings out there, and lots of little unknown shops producing nice stuff in the tool world that there is just no way for me to be able to find all of them in time.

My workpeices are consistently 2" length and 3" diameter. They all have the same inside diameter, and on my current lathe I use a mandrel I turned down out of a 4x4 I had laying around. Works great, but isn't adjustable which is a shame.

I am moving out of this shop and the lathe has to stay, so that means it's time to get one for the next shop.

I don't need anything huge, I just need something that will handle this size workpiece well. Things I feel that I really need:

1) variable speed without using stepped pulleys, doesn't have to be infinite but that would be very very nice

2) a tool rest that can be moved easily. My current one takes about a minute to change the rest. I want to be able to throw the lever and go

3) this isn't mandatory, but if the tailstock had a way to take an MT1 drill chuck that would be sweet, bonus points if it's included. I guess the important part is that the advancing mechanism be fast and not tedious

4) should be relatively compact. I don't have a truck so this has to fit in my trunk or on my backseat or some other kind of ridiculous arrangement. Strapped to my hood? :thumbsup:

5) it should come with some kind of faceplate, of any size, so that I can make up a mandrel.

6) it would be nice if the headstock thread was pretty standard so I could buy lots of different chucks for it at a reasonable price

Anyway, sorry for the asinine post, I personally hate seeing these on the forums I frequent but I try to help when I can, so I hope for something similar.

Something along the lines of the wood working version of the Atlas 618 lathe would be perfect.

Figure my budget is less than $300, but if something is exactly what I need and the cost can be justified, I will do it. :yes:

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Look at the General International Maxi lathe. A bit more than you want to spend, but a great little lathe. 1x8 TPI head stock, dial variable speed on 3 different pulley combinations, face plate, good tool rest. Only thing is it is a #2 morse taper. I've had mine 6 years now and it has not let me down.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Craigslist is your best friend when your on a budget, I got my first mini lathe for $20 on cl, just needed a chip that controls the electronic variable speed, a $5 fix

Got wood? Turn it.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
With CL, just be patient. There are a ton of crazy people who literally ask retail for their old, busted junk. Don't get discouraged, keep checking everyday and hopefully, something will pop up. Its how I got mine....well, second time around but yeah. I got a $450ish lathe for $220.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Craigslist is real slow around here these days. A Jet Mini would be a real treat for sure. I love all the options presented, thanks all so much. I figure 1/2 horse or higher will do the trick. I like the arrangements with the gearbox and the motor mounted on the bed, that's perfect. VS would be a plug but having a quick change gearbox would be enough to satisfy me I think.

Are there any mini lathes that come with a reversing motor? Only reason I'd want that is for sanding, would be nice to be constantly working against the nap. Not a huge deal but would be appreciated.

Thanks again all and I'll keep poking around on Craigslist. I hate losing a tool but this could be a blessing in disguise!

Edit: Oh my. I just noticed that the General has a turning headstock. Oh MY!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I am still going to suggest taking a look at this one. $250 + Shipping
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-12-basic-mini-lathe-70-050VS.aspx
or $430 on Amazon
1) Variable in three belt ranges 300-700, 700-1500, and 1500-3350. In the diameter you listed I would think you would set it on the top speed and then adjust by dial.
2) No Problem
3) MT2 in headstock and tailstock. If you are buying one there is no price difference in a MT1 and MT2 drill chuck that I know of. If you have the chuck and it is threaded (like a hand drill is) you can buy the MT2 for about $7 to fit it.
4) Pretty compact but it won’t fold up.
5) Yep
6) Spindle 1X8, most common size for a mini, larger lathes are normally 1.25X8

I have nothing to do with Highland, just have had good service from them.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish the Midi wasn't so steep. It has all the functions I need. It's exactly what I need. But it's about 40% more expensive than my budget. I wish I could find one on Craigslist, I'd pounce at $400. :yes:

I'm looking at the SHOP FOX as a backup. It's a shame it's only 1/3 hp. I wish you could buy it without a motor and then put your own in. It also appears to be single gear variable speed which I can only imagine loses power down low.

My workpieces are average 2.5" OD but I'm turning exotic hardwoods like Hondran Mahogany to Ebony to Amboyna Burls etc. I've never tried to do any of these on a smaller lathe. That said, I just checked my current lathe, which is 1/3 hp but it's an older continuous duty craftsman. I've heard, and I dont know if its true, that older horsepower ratings are more accurate than newer ones. My lathe now has more than enough power for my needs, so maybe the SHOP FOX will work fine. It's $205 with two day shipping.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You didn’t list the model for the ShopFox. I would try to find out the amps; I know there was one which was listed as 1/3 but was only 2 amps …lucky to even get ¼ hp continuous.
Craftsman now ups the HP but if it is older check the amps, it may well be 4+. I checked two of my older motors; one is 6 amp rated at 1/3 and the other is 7 amp rated at ½. One of the most popular lathes is 8 amps but it is rated at 1hp; it generally takes 10+ amps to generate 1 hp., but they do say Max. Other terms to watch are develops, peak, etc….they will get there but only for a few seconds before the motor burns out. What you want is continuous as your older craftsman says.

The $250 Rikon that I linked to is 6.6 amps or a very strong ½ hp. Horatio just picked up a used from CL at a very good price, maybe he can you a review if his has the same amp rating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where are you located? I have a mini Jet variable speed for sale.
Tom
Hi Tom,

I am located in Portland Maine.

Depending on price and included accessories I may be willing to pay for shipping as well. Feel free to contact me via PM if this is a possibility. :smile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You didn’t list the model for the ShopFox. I would try to find out the amps; I know there was one which was listed as 1/3 but was only 2 amps …lucky to even get ¼ hp continuous.
Craftsman now ups the HP but if it is older check the amps, it may well be 4+. I checked two of my older motors; one is 6 amp rated at 1/3 and the other is 7 amp rated at ½. One of the most popular lathes is 8 amps but it is rated at 1hp; it generally takes 10+ amps to generate 1 hp., but they do say Max. Other terms to watch are develops, peak, etc….they will get there but only for a few seconds before the motor burns out. What you want is continuous as your older craftsman says.

The $250 Rikon that I linked to is 6.6 amps or a very strong ½ hp. Horatio just picked up a used from CL at a very good price, maybe he can you a review if his has the same amp rating.
That's a really good point. As I recall the 1/3 horse from my current lathe is about 4.2A. The 3/4 horse I have in the basement on my bench grinder is 9.6A. And I am referring to the cheapo $203 shop fox on amazon. It's 1/3 horse with no stepped pulleys and variable speed.

It's a really good price, but I really want to be able to reverse it for sanding.. As I recall, pretty much any motor can be reversed if you're willing to dive into it, but I'm sure Delta wanted to charge $200 for this feature. :censored:

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
Hi Tom,

I am located in Portland Maine.

Depending on price and included accessories I may be willing to pay for shipping as well. Feel free to contact me via PM if this is a possibility. :smile:
you dont have enough posts for him to pm you
25 posts are required

1 - 20 of 28 Posts