Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i use a medium rub precatalized laquer[sherwin williams].on everything i use it on it turns out great,except on birch veneered doors with a chemical stain. i get streaks bubbles,all sorts of nightmares!!!!!!!!!!!i apply it with a titan airless spayer in a booth at 70 degrees,can anyone help me? [email protected] is my email

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well there must be something incompatible with that door finish,
that's for sure.
I've been waiting to see a response to this one.
Maybe a sealer on it first will help?

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I can't help you clarkson but welcome to our forum. Don't give up someone may yet be able to solve your conundrum. Not me though I am finish challenged. I do like Einstein did and use reference books alot to get through stuff I don't know like finishing.
Your dilemma probably can't be found in a book though. I figure JC has it right though. If it does it consistently on a certqain product something is not compatible.
Have you tried a differnet brand of lacquer?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you're still around, Jonathan, you might want to do a quick wash coat of shellac (preferably mixed yourself from flakes so you know it's fresh) anytime you are shooting over something you don't know what it is.

Fresh shellac will seal just about everything. Conversion varnishes and pre-cats will work fine over it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Clampman is right. I've never used the flakes to make my own but I use a ready mixed product called Zinnser seal coat. All paint stores will have it. It's a denatured shellac. Smells horrible but it's guaranteed to stick to anything and anything will stick to it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Spray on a coat of shellac before your lacquer. That chemical stain has something in it that is reacting with the lacquer, probably wax.

Nancy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts