Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I can't find how to edit my profile
At the far left end of the black bar at the top of the page you'll see "User CP" (user control panel).

Left click on that.

It takes you to a page and on the left you'll see "Your Control Panel".

Under that you'll see "Your Profile" .

Click on "Edit Your Details".

Atr the bottom of the page you'll see "Additional Information". This is where you do it.

Finally, scroll down and click on "Save Changes".

·
7,222 Posts
I saw your thread in the Introductions forum, where you mentioned being from Wales in the UK and having a small shop, about 6 x 4 shed. You did not state if this is feet or metres.

I looked at your pictures. I am not sure what tools you have, or have access to use.

I am not sure of UK regulations, but a lot of pallet wood in the US has been treated with pesticides. I would not want to be breathing the dust created when cutting this.

You either need to make something with the relatively short pallet pieces, or glue these together to make longer boards.

If you do not want to need to sand the pallet wood, then you want to consider rustic projects. Bird houses, bird feeders come to mind.

If you have a bandsaw, bandsaw boxes come to mind. A number of threads for making these in the Project Showcase forum. Can be made with coping saw, just takes more elbow grease.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Dave, my father get the pallets from work and I don't think they are sprayed.

I don't have many power tools. A Dewalt drill, jigsaw, electric sander. I have access to a circular saw and mitre saw. All my saws are hand apart from the jigsaw (others are my dads). Most of my tools are hand tools. Also, I have a hand mitre saw which is good for cutting the pallets.

My shed is in feet though I wish it was in metres!

I have made some bird boxes and bird feeders. I use 6 inch timber from a saw mill.

I have different types of wood but I have quite a bit pallet wood I would like to use first instead of the nicer wood like ply which I like to keep for better builds like the cabinet, wood trolly pictured on my profile and the pencil pot

·
Registered
205 Posts
Steve Ramsey uses pallet wood for projects often. He is very creative and also can get by using a minimal of tools, power or hand. Check out some of his projects on youtube. Look up Woodworking for Mere Mortals.

I have seen a book or two at the book store that is specific to pallet projects. You could try them for inspiration. Looking forward to seeing your creations. Good luck.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I watch Steve Ramsey's videos and he is very creative and good at what he does. Some of the things I have built are inspired from what he does.

Thanks Dave I will have a look and see what I can find.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Hi Peter
I use pallets a lot, in Canada we get US pallets (which are usually hardwood I.e. Oak) and Canadian pallets (usually Fir or Maple) I spent time breaking them down and doing initial cleaning( usually outside) once that is done I have never had problems from using pallet wood. I would post some pictures but being techno challenged I need some help or I have already posted them all over the wood working forum?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts