Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and i have been pondering the idea of building an 8 foot tall trebuchet. we have thought of many ideas for material, but we eventually decided on wood. we have also been discussing the type of wood to use. we need the wood to last a long time, and we need it to be able to withstand a few hundred pounds on the parts of the trebuchet. but we also are a little tight on money. we would like the strongets kind of wood, thats also the most affordable. does anyone have any ideas for us? thanx

·
Registered
178 Posts
How heavy are the pieces you want to toss?

Look out neighbours! :) :)

John

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Depending on what part of the country you live in there may be local sawmills that have just what you are looking for. Something like white oak, black locust or osage orange could be left outside indefinitely without rotting and are very strong too, white oak being the "weakest".(but still plenty strong enough to do what you are doing)
Ash and hickory are also pretty hard but will not take the elements as well.
If/when you make this trebuchet post some YouTube videos of you guys flinging things (I like siege machines :smile:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the pieces we will be throwing will be maybe at least 50lbs, but the heavy weights will be in the counter-weight box, and that will be maybe 100-300 lbs, as much as we can fit in. we are planning to try and throw cinder-blocks along with various other large pieces of rock.

we dont have any local sawmills by us, but we do have fleet-farms, menards, and other hardware stores. i am going to look at the local hardware stores for white oak, black locust or osage orange, and check out the prices on them.

thanks for your help.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
hellfire, I've seen several plans that use nothing stronger than 2x4 and 2x6 framing lumber from local big box hardware stores. If you're planning to keep it outside, just get treated wood. The design will be more important the the actual wood strength because you're not likely to be throwing anything big enough to cause any structural damage if the design is good. The dynamic forces of the counterweights moving will stress the vertical supports a lot but that can be accounted for fairly easily with some reinforcements. Check out the link dirtclod posted because I seem to recall some of the plans there being fairly decent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, i checked out the site. we got the designs from one of my other friends, he's a shop teacher and the trebuchet is one his students build, we're just doubling the size. and yeah ill talk it over with my friend about how strong the wood really needs to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts