Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I fail in order to learn
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im in dire need. I am building face frame cabinets. But I can't seem to get my pocket hole jig to work. Any ideas how to fix it. Im using 1 1/4" wood screws. Wood is 3/4" poplar. Some widths ranging from 1 1/2" - 2" if my jig won't work can I just nail them together them nail them to the frame? Please help. A phone call would be nice if someone would walk me through. Just email me and ill send my number. [email protected]

·
where's my table saw?
28,556 Posts
what's not working?

Can you drill the holes OK?
Will the screws start and drive down OK?
Do the pieces move when you're trying to screw them together?
What's the issue?
:blink:

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Guess you wearn't fast enough...

Can you drill the holes OK?
Will the screws start and drive down OK?
Do the pieces move when you're trying to screw them together?
What's the issue?
:blink:

3 min. Your gettin slow... :laughing:

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Hi im in dire need. I am building face frame cabinets. But I can't seem to get my pocket hole jig to work. Any ideas how to fix it. Im using 1 1/4" wood screws. Wood is 3/4" poplar. Some widths ranging from 1 1/2" - 2" if my jig won't work can I just nail them together them nail them to the frame? Please help. A phone call would be nice if someone would walk me through. Just email me and ill send my number. [email protected]

Hmmm...pocket screw problems. My suggestion is don't use them. Do the corners with a half lap...they'll never come apart.

·
I fail in order to learn
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are busting. And screws coming through back of wood. I will never use pocket holes again :)

·
preserving the past
137 Posts
I use pocket screws all the time. Can you explain what you mean by the jig is not working? It's a pretty straight forward process. Blind guess here....is the collar set wrong on the bit so that its not drilling the wood? Have you successfully used a pocket hole jig before? Let US know and I'm sure we can help.

·
I fail in order to learn
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its drilling. Im guessing my depth is wrong on the jig not the drill bit. Yes I've used one before but didn't set it up.

·
I fail in order to learn
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I have it right adjusted height of jig. Took some tweaking. Poplar still bust sometimes though.

·
preserving the past
137 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with that. I work almost exclusively with polar now and only use the coarse screws. The fine strip out too easy. I use fine on maple. I am wondering if he is pocket drilling the right piece of wood. he should be drilling the rails and screwing them to the stiles. if by chance he is doing it the other way he could be ripping off the wood from the stiles long grain. If he is using the positioning vise grip clamp with the large pads that would also keep splitting and movement down to a minimum.

Attachments

·
I fail in order to learn
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am using that clamp yes but two screws hold mine together. Also im running my side pieces all the way and pocket drilling the pieces that run horizontal. Except my middle uprights where my doors and drawer fronts meet. If I knew how to post a pic here I'd do it. Is this right? Little too late now but ill know next time

·
preserving the past
137 Posts
Sounds like your doing it right and its never too late to learn. that is why I am here too. there are a lot of experienced people here who are willing to help and share that experience. Posting pics is easy.
1- take pic on your phone
2- email it to your pc
3- save it in a file
4- when you post here dont do the quick reply use the "go advanced" button
5- there will be a section a little lower down that says "manage attachments"
6- there will be I believe 4 buttons that say something like download on them
7- click the button and it will take you to your pc files
8- find the pics you took and just double click them
9- after you are done selecting hit the upload button to the right
10- after that post your posting (dont forget to add your wording in just like a regular message)

All of this will help us help you when you have a problem and it will give you a chance to show off your work.

Good luck,

-John

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I used the fine screws on the buffet I recently finished building (5 cabinets total). All face frames were assembled with pocket screws and attached to the carcases with the screws. Not a single break out or crack.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts