Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a piece of twisted Yew stump at the club wood swap, and when I got it home found it was actually a couple of pieces intertwined.

When I separated them out, there wasn't enough to make a bowl from it ... well, not a complete bowl.

Ended up with this propeller-shaped thing ... it was fun making the lathe sound like a Cessna :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Very well done hope under rods stayed clean because it can be scary. Worth the tension as the result is brilliant. One comment a little thinner but again that's just me. Regards Tambotie. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone :smile:

I managed to keep my fingers (and the tools) out of the way, but the flexing was already starting to make me worry a little. Didn't have the nerve to try making it thinner!

Wingtip-to-wingtip is 13 inches, the dish area is about 5 inches across and it stands about 3" high.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Pretty cool pieces Dunc,
as long as you can still count to ten without taking your shoes off, good job. Really neat grain and shape.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Now THAT is a real piece of AAHHRRT, Dunc.
Nice, nice job.
I really really like the shape and creativity and your photography is not too shabby either.
A+

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
549 Posts
Man that's scary lookin!! Too bad ya didn't make a video (complete with sound of course)
Definitely a fine piece of artwork.
..Jon..

·
7,222 Posts
I love the piece, creative way to use the odd shaped stock.

Nice grain. Well done. :thumbsup:

I am not sure I would have wanted to turn such a piece. A LOT of air in this puppy. :eek:

Happy you did not get a catch. I can just imagine how many pieces may have been generated.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Jon - a video? I might be crazy, but I'm not going to provide evidence :laughing:

Dave - there was hardly any wood there, any less and there wouldn't have been enough to get a catch at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts