Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took it all apart during an extended power failure into another room with daylight for measurements and the point came out somewhere along the way. I don’t really know what it looks like except for this photo I took days before. I did not know that it came out so easy and it’s a miracle that it made it home after I bought it because I had no idea that it even came out at the time.

I may someday find it and hope I remember what it is when I do, but for now I don’t know what to do. Should I keep looking or buy another one and where would I buy one?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Keep looking. Its round and has most likely rolled under something somewhere or bounced across a room very far from near where you moved it from/to/through.

Trying to find a new one may be harder than hunting down the one you already own. Play CSI. Get a strong flashlight and start crawling around on those hands and knees.

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
Hmm, Sounds like your working on getting that live center. :laughing: I tried to get the one out of my lathe for a picture but it wouldn't come out so I made a sketch of what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well if it’s a nice day tomorrow, I guess I’m going to have to move everything outside and sweep the floor. I almost bought a magnet on a stick at harbor freight last weekend and I might have to go back and pick one up.:smile:

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
that's what I was going to suggest

Well if it’s a nice day tomorrow, I guess I’m going to have to move everything outside and sweep the floor. I almost bought a magnet on a stick at harbor freight last weekend and I might have to go back and pick one up.:smile:
You will find them very helpful for doing any kind of mechanical work AND for picking up screws and nuts that have hit the ground or floor.
They will fingd the nut that's hidden in the grass. They will "look' under cabinets and find all kinds of stuff you never knew you didn't have.... :eek:

Get the telescopic type and they come in small and a larger size ...get both. :yes:

I made one using a broken rectangle magnet taped on a broom stick, but the telescopic ones are stronger/better.

Another method I use is a very bright flashlite laid flat on the floor so the beam cast shadows of anything it strikes making it stand out.

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just thinking that if mine is the same shape as the one Steve drew, it shouldn’t have rolled very far unless it bounced into someplace.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Is that the tail stock end of the lathe? Does your lathe have a MT?

If you cant find it, you can buy a new one from a whole bunch of different sources provided its a MT and not another weird configuration. If its the tail stock end, it should be a live center, meaning it has a bearing and spins free. That looks like a cup center or safety center. If you have to buy a new one, I personally prefer a cone center rather than the cup.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is the tailstock, but I can't see how it comes apart. I stuck a long screwdriver through the hole in back and banged on it with a wood mallet, but it didn't budge. I don't know what you mean by "MT" I'm just learning some of these terms.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
MT = Morse Taper. The part that goes into the cast tail stock has a noticeable taper and stays in place by friction. There should be a part that is not removable and then the part you lost. The lost part will have the taper, and usually has to be driven out.

If it has a taper, it is most likely either a #1 or a #2 MT. Any accessory that has the correct taper will usually work. Best way to determine the taper is to look in the manual (provided you have one). Second best is to let folks know the make and model of the lathe and ask nicely in any place that turners hang out.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe DavePane said in another post that I had a #1 MT, but I didn't reconize MT by itself. Ok so if I understand this correctly nothing else comes out except what I lost.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I believe DavePane said in another post that I had a #1 MT, but I didn't reconize MT by itself. Ok so if I understand this correctly nothing else comes out except what I lost.
IMO, nothing other than the missing part is removable on the part you showed in the picture. The other end (where the motor is) also has a part that can be removed and uses a MT. :yes:

Its that way so you can put different drive centers, chucks, and/or mandrels on the lathe.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just remembered that I had picked up some tapered drill bits some 25 yrs ago and never had anything to use them in. I just tried one in my lathe and it didn’t fit. It was too big so I guess the bits must be a #2 MT

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Steve, now I know what I'm looking for.

·
7,222 Posts
The tailstock has what is called a "dead centre" meaning it does not rotate.

The dead centre will be MT #1. The centre pin came out, but the dead centre itself will also come out.

You need to find a round shaft which is small enough to reach the dead centre. The dead centre is about 2 - 3 inches long. The hole from the back end does neck down to perhaps less than 3/8in.

I found this out the hard way when taking apart the lathe.

So before you start banging do a test insert and measure to ensure you are contacting the dead centre and not the end of the hole.

You need to spray rust penetrant in from the front and the rear. Then a few taps of the drift bar and it should come out.

I would replace the dead centre with a live centre, meaning the centre has a bearing. A dead centre will burn the wood since the wood turn and the dead centre does not.

PSI have some MT1 live centres. One example.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTLT1.html?prodpage=1LC

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Oh I get it now. You lost just the tip of the center. I thought you lost the entire center. Id agree with Dave. Get that old one out of there and go with a cone live center. The one he linked is the one I use for most projects requireing the tail stock. I wouldnt even waste time looking for the part you lost.

When you get that out of there, be sure and clean up the inside of the MT real good. Your gonna wanna be able to just bump out your center to use drill chucks and what not.

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Dave,
I was just wondering how I was ever going to change it to a live center if it didn’t come apart. Then I was just looking at a manual I downloaded from sears and there was a diagram of it with instructions. My screwdriver that I was using yesterday probably was too big. :smile:

·
Registered
679 Posts
It is the tailstock, but I can't see how it comes apart. I stuck a long screwdriver through the hole in back and banged on it with a wood mallet, but it didn't budge. I don't know what you mean by "MT" I'm just learning some of these terms.

It looks like a Craftsman (round bed) so it is a #1 MT. It probably hasn't been taken out in a while and is just stuck. Run the ram out a couple of inches and lock it in place. Apply some heat with a torch and then try driving it out. After a couple of tries it should come out. If that doesn't work remove the tailstock and stand it on end and fill the opening with penetrating oil and let soak overnite. When you do get it out clean any rust out of the tapered area and then as others suggest buy a ball bearing live center. they cost less than $20.00 and are well worth it. Good Luck, and above all let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took the whole spindle out of the Tailstock so that I can soak it in some WD40 or maybe some penetrating oil if I can find some.

I have to say it smells like burnt wood and at first I couldn’t believe how strong it was. I was starting to worry that something was burning in the shop. :smile:

·
7,222 Posts
The burning of the wood does not take long. I have to wonder what the designers were thinking about. I am sure live centres were around when this lathe was sold.

Good luck extracting the dead centre. No surprise the original owner never removed this. :thumbdown:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts