Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I lost big on the Mega Millions (although the winning ticket was sold about 20 mins from me), but I think I just hit it rich on the CL Lotto.

Guy called off my wanted lumber ad and said he had lots of very nice domestic hardwoods that were in 1-4' cutoffs from a stair case company. Mostly 5/4. I did my normal yeah yeah yeah give me the price on the lot and so forth.

Well of course he calls back and say 500. I tell him, for cut offs no way. Turns out this guy is pretty desperate apparently. Calls back a little later says 200-250 he already has is loaded up he would come meet me. I told him where to meet last night, and he actually showed. I couldnt really tell in the dark lot one board from the next but could tell there was easily 150-200 worth of table legs i could use. So I ask his bottom dollar, he said 150, I told him I would give him a 100 cash. Like I said he was desperate, moving to michigan monday because his mother passed away, and coudlnt take it with him.

Anyways.... Get home, still not knowing what I have purchased, and low and behold at the dark walnut!!! It just kept coming. Alotta 5/4 but also a lotta 8/4. BEAUTIFUL stuff. All short pieces but perfect for cutting board, table legs, benches etc... There was a ton of VERY usable material. And all for the low ball price of 100. I actually called him back this morning and ask for his address in michigan (really to make sure he was truly moving and that this was in fact a desperate sell for moving) and told him I would go ahead an mail him a $50.00 check for the $150 price he said was his bottom dollar. That is how good of deal I feel I got. I began sorting it out last night, but only had time to unload and try and put in stacks. Got an oldtimer coming tonight to help me try and figure out what a few of the baords are, but I am sure I will have to post some pics of indivdual pieces to figure out what they are! IMG_7832.jpg

IMG_7834.jpg

IMG_7835.jpg

IMG_7837.jpg

SOOOOO the moral of the story, A. if you dont already have an ad on CL for scrap lumber, you should get one. This is my 3rd big load of lumber (truck load sizes) for fractions of the cost. And secondly, sometimes if you accept there bottom dollar and dont try and low ball hard you feel better about yourself. Just my two cents! If I dont post again I hope you all have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Ill attach some photos of the haul!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice. I hadn't thought of the scrap pieces angle. I'll have to try. I've got a standing CL for downed trees. I can usually get a walnut or oak log for free. The big time loggers in the area don't want to deal with one log and the owners usually have to pay the tree company to remove it. So all I have to do is load it up and take it to a local mill. 60 cents a board ft to cut it up any way I want. So far I have a one car garage full of wood that is drying. For the smaller items I do, I have a lifetime supply..

·
"splinter picker"
24 Posts
Heck YEA!

I'd say ya "scored!"

BTW.... good on you for calling back for the forwarding address.

Kinda like you... I don't feel it's right to take advantage of a man that's "down on his luck."

You've got quite a stockpile going there.:thumbsup:

:thumbup:Beav

·
Registered
885 Posts
I just gave away a tundra truck load of wood to a beginning woodworker. It gave me some extra shop room and will keep him busy for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts