Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a changed man.

Wow. That's the finish I've been looking for all these years.

Any tips or tricks for applying paste wax over poly? Seemed pretty easy. The can said that "more advanced" users will let the wax sit for longer. Why do you need to be more advanced for this? Will this threaten the finish?

Thanks in advance, -SW

·
7,222 Posts
It is easy. Just be warned, now you have waxed the surface, you will not be able to fix any scratches in the finish with poly, since it will not adhere to the wax.

If you like the look of the wax, you likely could have achieved the same by buffing with a buffing wheel and Tripoli compound. This is what some woodturners do. The tripoli compound does not impact future finishes.

I normally just apply the wax then wipe off. Not sure what difference leaving the wax on for a period of time makes.

The wax will fade over time.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Did you rub out the finish first? I apply with steel wool on shellac finishes. Maybe you will want to try something other than poly now that you like the way wax looks.

Try this on things like bandsaw boxes. Wax and turpentine. Just wet a cotton cloth with the turp and scoop out some wax and rub it in.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
The most important thing to remember is let the poly dry for a month to six weeks before using wax on it. If you wax it too soon before the poly cures it may penetrate into the finish.

·
Banned
310 Posts
I make a lot of furniture, I nearly always finish with Minwax paste, it does dry to a fairly hard finish after a couple of weeks and is durable. This coffee table( tables) was made out of recycled Cedar fence boards and in four years has only ha one retreat net.

Attachments

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
tonycan said:
I make a lot of furniture, I nearly always finish with Minwax paste, it does dry to a fairly hard finish after a couple of weeks and is durable. This coffee table( tables) was made out of recycled Cedar fence boards and in four years has only ha one retreat net.
Nice. I almost always finish with Minwax. It does get hard. On my last table top I let it set too long without buffing and it was really difficult to buff out.

Al

·
Banned
310 Posts
I put the paste on and start finishing it straight away, I use old washroom towel, in three stages, polish till it slides easily,let it dry for about two days and then give it the same treatment . It works for me.

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, everyone. I'm using Myland's Traditional Wax (clear).

Looking forward to trying it over shellac. Seems like such a nicer finish than leaving it at poly. Will try applying it with turpentine/mineral spirits, too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
When I built my daughters chest of drawers I used wax on the frames the drawers slide on. I was amazed how slick the surface became. I'm just wondering how long it will last untill I have to rewax it. With the wood to wood friction I didn't figure it would last too long. I thought I'd let it go for about 6 months then pull the drawers out and check how slick it was.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I'll finish a couple of wood carvings this winter, all in yellow cedar. PacNW native carvers have used neutral/clear KIWI shoe wax polish. Think I'll try that. Or else a tin of Aerowax (never opened) which must date back to the days of Ghengis Kahn.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Robson Valley said:
I'll finish a couple of wood carvings this winter, all in yellow cedar. PacNW native carvers have used neutral/clear KIWI shoe wax polish. Think I'll try that. Or else a tin of Aerowax (never opened) which must date back to the days of Ghengis Kahn.
I tried Kiwi after reading about it, still prefer Minwax and per volume Shoe Polish is really expensive. However to each his so good luck.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Streamwinner said:
Thanks, everyone. I'm using Myland's Traditional Wax (clear).

Looking forward to trying it over shellac. Seems like such a nicer finish than leaving it at poly. Will try applying it with turpentine/mineral spirits, too.
Turp is different from mineral spirits. It will in fact add to the finish and doesn't all evaporate. It's better in a lot of ways. With other finishes it makes it flow and lay down better. It will increase the durability of the finish.

Al

1 - 16 of 16 Posts