Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I turned it square. When I found this piece of wood it was black & moldy looking, probable could have been mistaken for firewood. I used a scraper and removed the black stuff and saw some pretty nice figure, so nice that I just couldn't cut off the corners to make it round. I had never turned square before so I figured WTH. Here's my results. Please enjoy.

Attachments

·
The Young Blood
550 Posts
Wow what a find, shame someone may have burned it eventually if you hadn't saved it. Amazing figure man, good call keeping it square!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks very much everyone. It's about 10"x10" and a hair under 1/4 inch thick. The most challenging thing I found when turning it was that the corners disappear when spinning. That means I'm turning blind on the corners. What I did to alleviate this problem was wrap the edges with neon green masking tape. This helped with the visibility problem but I still whacked my knuckles hard a few times. gotta be watchful for those spinning corners. :laughing:

Almost forgot. The wood is what I call Spalted, quilted, Curly, Burly Maple. It has a little of everything in it.

·
sawdust manufacturer
581 Posts
That's an amazing piece of wood...
and you, sir, have done it justice!:thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing it.

p

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Beautiful piece of wood Bill. Hard to believe it was on its way to the fire pile. Maple is quite an amazing wood, so much variation. Very nice.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All I can say is watch your fingers. I whacked mine good a few times. Other than that, go for it. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts