Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Where is the art in using a machine?

Race car driving, space shuttle driving and woodworking to name a few.
Doesn't have to be done by hand to be art.

If you did not use a chisel or mallet and just used your teeth for creating beautiful mortises, would that be even a higher art form? Ha.

No really, I know what your saying. Hand work is it's own reward. But I don't think anyone's work is less worthy of praise because they used power machinery to aid the construction.

Bret
agreed. a beautiful and well made piece of furniture is worthy of the same praise without regard to whether the maker hand cut it or used machines.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The art is in the design and the final product. There are a lot of ways to get there, all have there advantages and disadvantages.
back to topic- I have a fancy machine to help with the M&T joinery using a router. i find it quick and easier on the final morticing to drill out the bulk of the mortise. e.g.-Using a 3/8 inch fast drill to drill for a 1/2 inch mortice takes the load off and makes chip clearance and heat non issues.
This would probably help.
i found it was also important to have the drill set slightly proud of the square chisel in that system.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree with the comment that the art is the final product. Plus, some of us are trying feed our families through furniture making, hand chopping every mortise is not an option.

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
I was asked for details on my jig

So here's the photos. It's basically an adjustable paralleogram that will accept what ever wood width I need. The gap you see is because the piece of scrap I threw in there was not squared on the jointer first.... I saw the gap and wondered ...what?
Ran it through/over the jointer and the gap closed right up.

The "micro" adjuster is a standard Porter Cable edge guide. You snug up the stock in the jig using the knobs, then center the bit on the stock with the micro adjuster.
A spacer is need to support the long end of the guide, depends on the hight of the stock.
It's a little "gimicky", but when I have 30 mortises to make, I'm not gonna use a mortising machine. I have a nice Powermatic, but it's just too much effort. I could use it to square the rounded corners from the router bit, however, I didn't do that either, just used a mortise chisel.

The router and edge guide are free to move on the top of the workpiece since it's attached only on one edge of the jig.

Attachments

Reactions: nbo10

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
router mortise jig

Here's the photos you asked for nbo10. See post above. :smile:

Reactions: nbo10

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Just curiously, what mortise machine do you have? My dad has a Delta that he's "fed up with" and has said I can liberate from his shop, I'm considering doing it b/c who doesn't like free tools, but if its really a headache machine and not a mortise machine then it's probably not worth the gas to go get it!
I have a delta- works perfect- I agree with all- it is in the set up and sharpness. Not a production machine-but then again I am not a production shop.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Woodnthings - I like the way you combined your jig to with the PC micro guide I already own. I believe that is the method I will be using from now on so thanks for the pictures. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I bought a Powermatic bench top mortiser and was very disappointed in how difficult it was to make a mortise: excessive downward pressure needed, chips clogging the chisel, burning, etc. I was about to give up on it when I happened upon a video on YouTube (I think) about sharpening and setting up the chisel and the auger. I figured I'd give it a shot and whadda ya know! It made a huge improvement!!! It's now so easy to make a mortise, even in hardwoods. I love my mortising machine.

Unfortunately i can't find the exact video I saw, but there are many others on YouTube and other places. Try it, I don't think you'll regret it.

Kevin H.

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
maybe this is it?

OR this?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Woodnthings. I've been making more than a few mortises with the router lately. While I have plans to go the mortise chisel route :laughing:, I've gotta use what's available.

Does anyone know if the PC micro guide fits other routers? I have a craftsman professional with a really crappy guide. I'm happy if I get within a 32nd of my marks with it.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Kinda proud of our "mortising machine".....in my normal twisted sort of way.

It was a "freeby" Jet 17" DP that had been litteraly "gutted" in a smallish furniture plant in N.C.They were using it as a dedicated M&T setup for some particular "part"....choosing to buy and leave it setup for this one operation vs using one of their really nice "old arn" models.

They basically messed up every dang part on this machine except the base.Table was off a Delta...because they fried the original....etc,etc,etc.

I fixed it.....it works O.K.

·
Registered
420 Posts
So here's the photos. It's basically an adjustable paralleogram that will accept what ever wood width I need. The gap you see is because the piece of scrap I threw in there was not squared on the jointer first.... I saw the gap and wondered ...what?
Ran it through/over the jointer and the gap closed right up.

The "micro" adjuster is a standard Porter Cable edge guide. You snug up the stock in the jig using the knobs, then center the bit on the stock with the micro adjuster.
A spacer is need to support the long end of the guide, depends on the hight of the stock.
It's a little "gimicky", but when I have 30 mortises to make, I'm not gonna use a mortising machine. I have a nice Powermatic, but it's just too much effort. I could use it to square the rounded corners from the router bit, however, I didn't do that either, just used a mortise chisel.

The router and edge guide are free to move on the top of the workpiece since it's attached only on one edge of the jig.
That is perfect timing. I just bought that edge guide this weekend and planned on making some sort of jig next week.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts