Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But am working on a cat 'feeder' project... :thumbsup:

Going to buy some tiny little bowls tomorrow to fit inside... Still got to finish the top and attach the legs...

Need to buy the bowls and cut the holes before I can do any of that...

Same wood as this dog feeder project and going to finish in the same 'blue' color... (notice reflection of cat feeder in finish of dog feeder project... THAT thing looks like it is swimming under glass! LOL! :yes:)

Wood has a cool grain and will look good in 'blue'. Plan to leave Walnut legs natural color and only lacquer them along with rest of project... :yes:

Cats around here KNOW to NOT come in my yard... Lest some dogs WILL be turnt loose on they asses and they be chased off in a quick like hurry... :yes:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I like cats, 'specially this one :)

Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Table

Reactions: Oneal-Woodworking

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Laughing!!!!!!

That cat has just seen Oneals dogs.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Here kitty kitty ;)

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Cartoon Fictional character Anime Black hair Illustration

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you guys got a good sence of humor! :thumbsup:

Found some cool little ceramic bowls this morning at Wallyworld. Got my holes cut for the bowls, got my color put on, got the legs dowelpinned and 'fitted', and got 3 coats of lacquer shot on everything today... :thumbsup:

I will post more (current) pics tomorrow when I go back to do some more! Letting what I got so far dry overnight before 320 sanding and applying more lacquer. Legs are 'fitted' but not attached yet - Want to keep them off as long as possible so I can use the orbital to sand the bottom between coats... :yes:

Also got some walnut leg stock glued up today before I left. Plan to do a few cabinet type feeders in Walnut and will be building doors for those tomorrow whilst in-between lacquer spraying sessions with the cat feeder! :smile:

The 'plan' for tomorrow is 8 doors... 4 in Walnut and 4 in Cherry. One group will be the traditional 'shaker style' and the other 'cove and bead'. Still undecided how I want to do the door panels.

Will take the camera tomorrow and get pics as I move along... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what my cat feeder stuff looked like this morning after drying overnight (3 coats of lacquer so far...)

I got a whopping $4.24 invested in those bowls BTW. :thumbsup:

320 sanded everything to start:

Then blew it all off and got ready to shoot a few more coats...

Don't laugh at my gun here... It is 'somewhat clean' where it counts... LOL! :yes:

Princess 'supervising'...

Whilst waiting on that to dry some before resanding and shooting some more - I started on some Walnut and Cherry doors for another feeder project... :smile:

Cut all my stock and decided what was going to be cove n bead and what was going to be shaker style:

Blades used for cutting crossrail ends on cove and beaded door stock:

Don't really 'need' a fence with these blades as they have a rub bearing in the middle and stuff can't just get 'sucked in' to the knives... I still prefer to use a fence. :smile:

When running the final profile I tend to use a straightedge for a guide and when they are SMALL like these pieces - I feed them on the slowest setting - One right after the other and butted up 'tight' together - and do NOT try to waste time reaching over to 'catch' them before they fall... I use a piece of scrap for a 'ramp' and let them slide down it and collect at the bottom. Pieces don't get banged up this way and the straightedge (and running them consecutively) keeps them from getting jacked up during the cut (keeps them STRAIGHT while running them)...

continued... :smile:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I freaking HATE cutting 'small' pieces and avoid it when possible. Sometimes one has no choice and MUST cut very small stuff to get the job done. This CAN be done 'safely' if one thinks and plans ahead - And one is NOT 'required' to spend a pile of money in the process... :no:

When cutting 'skinny' raised panels I 'prefer' to cut them long-ways FIRST and cut the endgrain LAST. The 'skinny' ones in this picture are only 5" wide... They DO make some really nice airhold miterslot using type clamps that work great for this sort of thing but... They cost a fortune and are NOT always 'required' to get the job done 'safely'...

(I have used these sort of clamps in the past and have NO complaints about them)

THESE panels were cut as long boards and then cut to exact lengths 'after'... (safer this way in MY opinion :yes:)

After cutting the long side you can then cut them all to length and staple a piece of scrap to the backside to 'hold' them together securely (keep them from moving around) as you cut the endgrain. When done properly - The staples will NOT let go and butting them up 'end-to-end' will prevent any sort of 'tearout' issues where you have a piece of wood BEHIND your workpiece...

:thumbsup:

FWIW - I only 'needed' two staples per panel for this job and they held plenty fine to be SAFE... When removing the panels from my piece of scrap that I used as a straightedge - One panel was stuck so well that the staple actually pulled THROUGH the plywood...

:yes:

Once I got all my pieces securely stapled to my piece of 'scrap' - I slowly made each pass a little at a time until I got to the depth I wanted...

THIS is the 'depth' of cut I wanted here:

Princess doing 'final inspection' of all the door parts I made today...

8 doors total - 4 shaker / 4 cove and bead - 5 different blade changes in all - Done while 'waiting' for lacquer to dry between coats...

Even though I ALWAYS run 'extras' when doing 'small' parts just in case something gets boogered up - I had only one 'bad' part today. Most would have considered that part useable but I tossed it and chose only those that were flawless for my doors. :smile:

Original 'Catwoman' photo:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts