Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody foolishly threw this out. I figured it might be good for something.
DSCF6992.jpg
Here's cross section of the wood. I have no idea what it is but it would be interesting to know.
DSCF6999.jpg
After the rough stuff the wood was a dream to work with. I could "feel" moisture coming from it as it turned. There was a little spalting that turned to rot and I lost a few inches from the length.
DSCF7000.jpg
Though I had to sacrifice a few inches of material, it might work out anyway.
DSCF7012.jpg
Ready for the grind. Perhaps a coat of poly. Nah! Natural is good.
DSCF7020.jpg
Mama says never throw anything out.

Jimmy

Reactions: bigcouger

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Looks good! it makes me want to run out and buy a lathe. :smile:
I had a couple of Apple tree branches laying around waiting to be cut up for fire wood, but my chain saw hasn't been working for months. I was tired of looking at them so yesterday I started cutting them with my band saw and I was amassed at how nice they looked when cut smooth. I don't know if anybody ever makes stuff out of apple wood, but I regretted it afterwards.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a couple of Apple tree branches laying around waiting to be cut up for fire wood, but my chain saw hasn't been working for months. I was tired of looking at them so yesterday I started cutting them with my band saw and I was amassed at how nice they looked when cut smooth. I don't know if anybody ever makes stuff out of apple wood, but I regretted it afterwards.
.Why did you regret it? The worst you can do is make firewood.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
The handles of many (most?) Disston and other saws were made from apple wood.

I've got a couple of pieces of apple firewood I'm waiting on to dry so I can repair a Disston #12 with a broken handle.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
.Why did you regret it? The worst you can do is make firewood.
well that's true, but now if I did decide to buy a lath I now only have 12" pieces. I guess could still make something out of it.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
The handles of many (most?) Disston and other saws were made from apple wood.

I've got a couple of pieces of apple firewood I'm waiting on to dry so I can repair a Disston #12 with a broken handle.
Umm, well mine are certainly dry. Tomorrow I might pull one out of the wood pile and try squaring it up to see what it looks like. Not exactly sure how, but I guess I'll start with the band saw

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Before I decided to use my own firewood for the handle I looked all over and had a hard time finding an inexpensive source for even small pieces of apple. If you wanted to sell/trade some, I'm sure you'd have no shortage of takers.

Here was a recent thread in the classified section on apple wood. You could also head over to Wood Barter if you wanted to earn a little extra cash or trade for something else.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Before I decided to use my own firewood for the handle I looked all over and had a hard time finding an inexpensive source for even small pieces of apple. If you wanted to sell/trade some, I'm sure you'd have no shortage of takers.

Here was a recent thread in the classified section on apple wood. You could also head over to Wood Barter if you wanted to earn a little extra cash or trade for something else.
Is that right, Wow! Well besides the 12” pieces I cut up with my band saw, I also have a 4’ x 5” Dia. trunk still in the ground,. I left it long so I can dig out the root ball and having a 4’ stub makes it easier to pull the root out.

I also have all this Apricot.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ddaaam!!! I'm drooling

Is that right, Wow! Well besides the 12” pieces I cut up with my band saw, I also have a 4’ x 5” Dia. trunk still in the ground,. I left it long so I can dig out the root ball and having a 4’ stub makes it easier to pull the root out.

I also have all this Apricot.

This last picture has me wanting to go steal somebody's tree!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts