Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Generic Weeb
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I'm not in a good mood, family situation is on fire, don't worry about it.

I need to make an urn. Something something it's basically a large vase right? I'm planning on segmented rings, probably walnut. I've got some rough math figured out for the footage needed. Main question I need help with is how urns actually work. Do they have like screw off tops? I figured the tops were sorta like corks and just press fit in. Then again I've avoided making one beforeand haven't seen a turned one in person before. Tips?

-T

·
Smart and Cool
2,536 Posts
Long story short, I'm not in a good mood, family situation is on fire, don't worry about it.

I need to make an urn. Something something it's basically a large vase right? I'm planning on segmented rings, probably walnut. I've got some rough math figured out for the footage needed. Main question I need help with is how urns actually work. Do they have like screw off tops? I figured the tops were sorta like corks and just press fit in. Then again I've avoided making one beforeand haven't seen a turned one in person before. Tips?

-T
Urn for remains? They come in many shapes and sizes.

I still need to make something for my Dad, his is going to be a box of sorts. A guy local to me made this one, I like some of the attributes of it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Shoot summ,
Yes urns can be any shape but I am hard pressed to see how one would make a rectangular box on a lathe.

Main question I need help with is how urns actually work. Do they have like screw off tops? I figured the tops were sorta like corks and just press fit in.
Weeby,
The type of lid closure could be what ever you are comfortable and skilled enough to turn. Many just use a tight fitting joint. I have seen lids and rims using recessed hidden magnets.
Usually the actual ashes are contained in a sealed bag within the urn, therefore it is not imperative that the urn lid be tight or sealed.
I know of one family which had several urns made, one for each child of a parent who passed away. Those urns were made to house a simple Mason jar within the wooden urn.

This person used a threaded brass fitting. Woodturning an Urn with Threaded Brass Inserts - YouTube
Here is a method to repurpose PVC fittings just for the male and female threads, to be glued into a wood turning. Quick & Easy Threaded Inserts For Urns (azwoodturners.org)

Please share with us your finished turning, when it is complete. Godspeed.

Attachments

·
Smart and Cool
2,536 Posts
Shoot summ,
Yes urns can be any shape but I am hard pressed to see how one would make a rectangular box on a lathe.

Weeby,
The type of lid closure could be what ever you are comfortable and skilled enough to turn. Many just use a tight fitting joint. I have seen lids and rims using recessed hidden magnets.
Usually the actual ashes are contained in a sealed bag within the urn, therefore it is not imperative that the urn lid be tight or sealed.
I know of one family which had several urns made, one for each child of a parent who passed away. Those urns were made to house a simple Mason jar within the wooden urn.

This person used a threaded brass fitting. Woodturning an Urn with Threaded Brass Inserts - YouTube
Here is a method to repurpose PVC fittings just for the male and female threads, to be glued into a wood turning. Quick & Easy Threaded Inserts For Urns (azwoodturners.org)

Please share with us your finished turning, when it is complete. Godspeed.
I'm missing where I suggested he make a rectangle box on a lathe, I was letting him know there are many options, not all are turned, obviously.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm missing where I suggested he make a rectangle box on a lathe, I was letting him know there are many options, not all are turned, obviously.
He specifically posted this in the woodturning forum and his question was about a "turned" urn. He was NOT asking for other options. What you are missing is the point of his question.

·
Smart and Cool
2,536 Posts
He specifically posted this in the woodturning forum and his question was about a "turned" urn. He was NOT asking for other options. What you are missing is the point of his question.
What I am missing is why you are being so terse?

I gave some insights into what I am doing in regards to cremation remains, it might inspire the OP in some way.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Woodsmith Shop Season 12 featured a project that made round canisters with wide mouth threaded lids. The plans featured a jig for making the large, wide threads. The plans are still free, but not for much longer - it will fall off the "free" list when the new season starts soon. Get it while you can.

The canisters in these plans are not turned exactly, but @WeebyWoodWorker may find the threading jig helpful, or at least to stimulate ideas:
https://www.woodsmithshop.com/episodes/downloads/
Canister plans with thread making jig:
https://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/1211/245
(Email address required.)

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
There are standards for urn sizes just like anything else. Just search the web by starting with "round urns". Many for sale and they give the specs. That should get you started.
Not to worry, I'm sure you will figure it all out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have made a few urns for animals an humans. To get a good idea of the size needed go here: Urn Size Calculator: Find the Right Size Urn for Ashes (urnsnw.com)
As said in an earlier post; the ashes will be in a bag. Maybe sealed. Maybe with a twist tie.
Another question to ask: Is it for burial or for display? Different environments requiring different thinking and materials. If it is to be buried they are typically just put into the hole. No concrete vault so it will be in ground contact.

·
Smart and Cool
2,536 Posts
I have made a few urns for animals an humans. To get a good idea of the size needed go here: Urn Size Calculator: Find the Right Size Urn for Ashes (urnsnw.com)
As said in an earlier post; the ashes will be in a bag. Maybe sealed. Maybe with a twist tie.
Another question to ask: Is it for burial or for display? Different environments requiring different thinking and materials. If it is to be buried they are typically just put into the hole. No concrete vault so it will be in ground contact.
The one I will build goes into a memorial crypt, it has to meet specific size constraints.

·
Generic Weeb
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate the tips folks, I really do. I've got it roughed out about halfway now. The feature ring is still gluing. I'll post a picture when I finish it. I've never actually done segmented turning before, It's a pleasure to turn. I intend to do a lot more of it in the future, just happier projects.

-T

1 - 15 of 15 Posts