Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my new workbench/assembly table/outfeed table. It's about 3' x 6'. I'll add some storage under it in the coming weeks. It's far enough away from the TS that I don't think I'll need to add slots for the mitre guage. I followed a plan that called for solid one piece aprons but I decided to dress it up a bit. I sure wish I would have mitered the apron corners now. Oh well.

I've been doing WW for 6-7 years and never had a real WW vise. Yea!

Attachments

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Looks nice, but i have one question ... is the top the same thickness as the apron? If not, you might be sacrificing the ability to easily clamp something to the bench.

But that is not a big deal ... you can always fill in the space behind the apron if you want to be able to clamp stuff to the top.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It looks great and solid, very nice design and attractive wood combo. It will serve you well for a long time in the shop. Great job!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Chris - the apron is 3 1/2" and the top is 2 1/4" (three 3/4" MDF - the top piece being maple veneer MDF). For added stability and alignment I routed a groove around the edges of the top as well as inside the aprons and glued a one inch wide 1/4" hardboard spline around the inside.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Congratulations. It looks like you've done a fine job. When you finally have your first real workbench you wonder how you ever got along without it. Yours should serve you well for a very long time to come.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Nice! Looking at it I think I should spring for a proper woodworking vise. Good work! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If we kkep our wives from visiting, it should stay clutter free. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
woek bench

Nice!!!!

Every time I hear the words WORK BENCH I have to laugh.....

As a kid growing up in the early 50's a WORK BENCH was a spare blanket folded up in the back seat of our car. We called THAT our work bench, hehehe.

Nice job, now don't be afraid to beat it up.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice!!!!

Every time I hear the words WORK BENCH I have to laugh.....

As a kid growing up in the early 50's a WORK BENCH was a spare blanket folded up in the back seat of our car. We called THAT our work bench, hehehe.

Nice job, now don't be afraid to beat it up.

Dale in Indy

So do you actually get any work done?

Beautiful bench! :thumbsup: You can be proud of that one for years to come.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Your workbench looks better than the furniture I make. Although I've only made one thing, this fact is still somewhat disheartening to me.

Good work, it's a beauty!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice job! I like the contrasting woods. A workbench is on my list of upcoming projects. What kind (brand) of vice is that? What do you think of it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice job! I like the contrasting woods. A workbench is on my list of upcoming projects. What kind (brand) of vice is that? What do you think of it?
It's a Jorgensen 41012. I haven't used it too much yet but so far I love it. I have to say, I only chose it because it's the one they had in the plan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts