Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first lathe yesterday and I don't know what kind of quality I bought. So I ask everyone on here it is a Vicmarc VL 100 lathe for 250.00. It looks like new I can tell it hasn't been used hardly any.

I was wondering if this is a good starter lathe and did I get it for a fair price??

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I bought my first lathe yesterday and I don't know what kind of quality I bought. So I ask everyone on here it is a Vicmarc VL 100 lathe for 250.00. It looks like new I can tell it hasn't been used hardly any.

I was wondering if this is a good starter lathe and did I get it for a fair price??

Thanks
Josh
Is it not rather late to ask that question? Sounds like a question that should be asked before a purchase.

It is not considered good form to ask the same question in multiple threads. You asked this same question in Woodturning.

G

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it not rather late to ask that question? Sounds like a question that should be asked before a purchase.

It is not considered good form to ask the same question in multiple threads. You asked this same question in Woodturning.

G

WOW!

Sorry for asking!!

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Go for it Big OB. Any lathe is better than the one you had. The sky's the limit with those things. I read where guys were making them out of poured in place concrete and I used to have a home made one out of a trailer wheel. Your lathe will grow with your skill.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Looks like a quality product. One thing I would do in mount it to the heaviest thing you can for support and foundation.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
As above,the stand is critical in your new lathe's general happiness.Throw it up on that old rickety dining rm table you found on the curb one Saturday and you'll find it,wanting.

Do a quick google foo.....I know Popular Mechanics has run a cpl real nice/appropriate lathe stands stories.Avail as archival on the web.Try to get an understanding(ha) of the design before just throwin one together.They are extremely fun build though.Good luck,and very nice lathe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts