Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a pair of dressers for my wife's friend. She has two boys who need their own dressers now and I have a huge stack of spruce from my yard that I had milled. Good project to get some chest of drawers experience on, something I hadn't built yet.:thumbsup:

I chose a NYW four drawer chest plan with stopped datos for the dust frames. A guy ought to take a little more time when he is cutting stopped datos to orient everything correctly. :furious: I now have four right sides instead of two left and two rights. :laughing: Oh well I needed experience fixing mistakes.

I know none of you have done anything this dumb but I can manage to do at least on dumb thing on each project.:blink:

Mart

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just last night I was coping the ends of cabinet door stiles on the router table. For some reason after finishing one side, I flipped to the other end, as opposed to my usual move of rotating to the other end and routered the copes going opposite directions. Out of 60 stiles, did this on about 8. Dont know how. I was tired and just not concentrating.

I usually try to take a second and say, "ok is this the right direction" ive prevented quite a few mistakes that way...lol

·
Registered
419 Posts
You may be able to salvage the sides by ripping the inside at the depth of your dado up to the point where you wanted your stop dado to terminate. Then laminate another piece of wood of the proper thickness and reasonable grain match. I believe I would attempt this without reservation. We all make dumb mistakes. The trick is in the work around.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hubby says that a good woodworker is NOT one who doesn't make mistakes; it's the one who knows how to fix them.

You'll find a fix.

Nancy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed it to through dados and will put a face frame on it. Kind of disappointing but I guess the end product will be nearly identical to the original intent. You are right, I probably won't make that mistake again, but there are so many mistakes to make out there.

Mart

·
Registered
29 Posts
what if we deny the mistake, and call it a practice. "I made had to make four right sides until I was satisfied.
Is that a deny or a lie?

Butch

·
Registered
3 Posts
If only we had our own EDITS like the TV shows do,

If we only had our own way of editing we could just simply have all our mistakes wiped out so whenever people saw or read about whatever it it that we did,We could look just as perfect as the guys on TV.
But Hey,No Body's perfect except for,Well you know who, The biggest woodworker of them all.
No,I'm not talking about Norm either.
I'll give you a hint, His first annitional starts with a "G" The middle annitial is an "O" And his last annitional is a "D"
Good Luck,and remember,We're all in this thing together and we're all pulling for ya.
Sincerely,
Jim

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I don't see the problem. So now you are building four dressers instead of two. I call that planning ahead.

We all screw up. No Biggie.

Gerry

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mart, if it makes you feel any better, as an alleged professional woodworker, I just got through doing the same thing, difference with me was, I told everybody I wanted a couple of extra for the showroom, you don't have a showroom I guess, so here is a fix for you,

Simply glue some strips in the dados, make sure that the grain is running the same (remember expansion and contraction). Then saw a little piece off the front and glue another on to hide the dado from the outside, if you are going to have a face frame, then it is not necessary. Then re-cut the dados where they should be. Yes, you will see the repair, but it is on the interior of a chest of drawers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I made this mistake before and now I have a display cabinet that is 1 inch short in height and width because I had to cut off the dovetails.

We all do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to disagree with you Mart. The "dumbest woodworker ever" is the guy missing several fingers and maybe a hand. And since he can't type, I thought I'd chime in for him...

·
Pianoman
708 Posts
There`s only two times when a Pattern Maker will speed up his or her work methods. One is when they`re making an error... and the other is when they`re fixing it..." It takes a clear mind... to make it " Rick

·
Registered
445 Posts
"Mistakes" are part of the learning curve Mart. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
979 Posts
yep..just yesterday i cut all my panels for two drawers. 8 pieces of birch 22x3 (double desk pencil type drawers) The final drawer was to be 16d 3h 20w I dado cut all the pieces then started cutting them starting with the 16" lengths...and kept cutting and cutting, them all 16"... the second I started rough fitting the first one together, I realized I was missing my four pieces to make the 20" ends...I actually was looking on the floor for them "just in case"

·
Registered
151 Posts
With me it seems that the better a project seems to be going, the higher the likelihood that I'll screw up somewhere near project completion.

I swear it never fails that if I pause and say to myself, "I'm not screwing this up, am I?" -- and then say, "Nah, you're all right" -- I screw up.

Usually it involves assembling parts with countersunk nails and glue, and then involves cat's paws and a framing hammer for demo. :wallbash:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts