Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined in 2014. 6 months later I woke up one day in April and had a paralyzed left hand. Never a good way to start a Monday. Quick story. Diagnosed with a brain tumor. Given 12-18 month to live. Glad they were wrong. Retired from dentistry. Hand works well. Continue to work in my shop, which has seen some additional equipment.

I acquired the FELDER saw kept my Powermatic. I turned it around and have this nice sawing area.

·
Super Moderator
4,861 Posts
I joined in 2014. 6 months later I woke up one day in April and had a paralyzed left hand. Never a good way to start a Monday. Quick story. Diagnosed with a brain tumor. Given 12-18 month to live. Glad they were wrong. Retired from dentistry. Hand works well. Continue to work in my shop, which has seen some additional equipment. View attachment 420780 View attachment 420781
I acquired the FELDER saw kept my Powermatic. I turned it around and have this nice sawing area.
Hey GM, glad to have you back, that had to be some kinda scary, I sure am glad they were wrong also. Buddy you got one serious shop there, really nice.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
wow - that is life changing !!
like Jim said - there are no words to describe the terror you must have gone through.
welcome back !! looking forward to seeing some of your projects.
and that is one serious table saw setup !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: AJ.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it!!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm not quit sure why you ganged saws together. Your only one operator...
I've thought about it - mainly to have a mega-table top / run out / infeed / etc. ganging them 'conserves space' so to speak, theory being you can use the flat of one saw as run out / support for the other.....
as I started planning it out, I realized rather a lot of times I have a set up on the saw I do not wish to disturb - that goes even for the idea of mounting a router table on the wings....not infrequently I'm saw then routing, then fitting....

gets down to 'what you do most' I suppose.

·
where's my table saw?
27,912 Posts
There are several woodworkers here who "ganged" their tables saws back to back:
Lola Ranch for example:

There are others, but I can't find their photos just now ..... mndtrdr for one.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Putting 10 together doesn't make it productive or anything else. I was going to buy a SCMI slider at time. I would not have kept the unisaw.

Gang as many as you like. I've seen a lot of shops put saws in the same table but not where they interfer with each other...

·
where's my table saw?
27,912 Posts
For me it's about having as large a support surface on the sides of a large heavy panel as possible AND not having to change saw blades for crosscutting plywood panels, then ripping thick hardwood stock and finally making rabbets or dados .... all of which I can do without a single blade change on my 3 saws "ganged" together side by side rather than back to back, offset. I just found it easy to use a "parts" tabble between them to space them apart, since all the bolt holes lined up perfectly and I had enough shop space to make it possible. A back to back staggered approach would work for saws of different makes and models equally well. A slider is kind of out of the financil reach of most home shops, BUT would be a great saw for making cabinets and cases from sheet goods. Crosscutting large panels accurately is difficult on a small table home shop contractor type saw. This is why many home shop woodworkers build a contractor saw into a larger surround ... safety and accuracy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
@woodnthings that's a nice setup!

I like the idea of not having to change blades with so much frequency.
Maybe in the future, when I get a bigger shop (IF! that happens*).

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I joined in 2014. 6 months later I woke up one day in April and had a paralyzed left hand. Never a good way to start a Monday. Quick story. Diagnosed with a brain tumor. Given 12-18 month to live. Glad they were wrong. Retired from dentistry. Hand works well. Continue to work in my shop, which has seen some additional equipment. View attachment 420780 View attachment 420781
Glad you are well sir. Your God is good to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts