Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first home and have a space situation that I'm trying to solve with a hybrid/mobile table saw.

I have a shed that's roughly 15x8 that can't really be used to work on large pieces of wood. So my plan is to roll the table saw outside and leave the rest of the work to be done in the shed.

I've been looking at some of the hybrid table saws, specifically the Grizzly G0771Z. The price of the saw has gone up several hundreds of dollars and after taxes, shipping and lift gate service the price balloons to $1400.

So my question is this. Is a hybrid saw like this worth this much money, especially when it was retailing for close to $900 pre-pandemic? Should I maybe wait it out or would my money be better served somewhere else?

I'll mostly be doing small hobbyist work but I would like to work on large pieces of furniture like dining tables and dressers using solid hardwood like walnut so I wanted to make sure a hybrid would have enough power when the time comes for stuff like that.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I've included some photos of my backyard. The previous owners left this screened in cabana where I'm thinking of doing the table saw work since it provides a flatter surface than the grass. The other photos are of the shed which as I mentioned before is roughly 15x8 if you don't count the existing shelving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a nice saw, what makes it a HIBIRD?
It's meant to be an in-between option between a contractor and cabinet saw. So it has some features of a cabinet like an enclosure to capture dust but is more light weight (still weighs a lot though) for some mobility which is what I'm looking for. My predicament is that I need more power than what contractors offer me but I don't have the space for a full on cabinet.

My main questions are around performance when it comes to cutting thick hardwoods. Contractor saws can struggle or not make clean cuts in those situations and hybrids provide a bit more power. Just not sure if they'll be enough.

There are some competing products in this space like the Laguna F1 and the Shop Fox W1837 as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's meant to be an in-between option between a contractor and cabinet saw. So it has some features of a cabinet like an enclosure to capture dust but is more light weight (still weighs a lot though) for some mobility which is what I'm looking for. My predicament is that I need more power than what contractors offer me but I don't have the space for a full on cabinet.

My main questions are around performance when it comes to cutting thick hardwoods. Contractor saws can struggle or not make clean cuts in those situations and hybrids provide a bit more power. Just not sure if they'll be enough.

There are some competing products in this space like the Laguna F1 and the Shop Fox W1837 as well.
We all love new tools, but I have a suggestion if you really need more power. Down size to an 8 or 9” blade, use purpose built rip and crosscut blades instead of all purpose blades, and make the cut in multiple passes. Do that until the market right sizes and prices come back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
not sure i'd want to be rolling that big of a saw in and out every time you want to use it. cast iron does not take kindly to getting wet. if you want a roll out saw, stick to the portable jobsite table saws available everywhere. rigid, ryobi, dewalt and i'm sure more make nice portable table saws, with wheel sets and foldup legs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure i'd want to be rolling that big of a saw in and out every time you want to use it. cast iron does not take kindly to getting wet. if you want a roll out saw, stick to the portable jobsite table saws available everywhere. rigid, ryobi, dewalt and i'm sure more make nice portable table saws, with wheel sets and foldup legs.

Thanks, the Dewalt dwe7491rs looks like it has great reviews and can handle some of the tougher work with hardwoods as well. I'm not really looking for many bells and whistles, just something to get the job done. But at the same time I'm trying to make sure something like this could handle something like 8/4 walnut.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Of the saws mentioned so far in this thread the only one I have experience with is a close variant of the Dewalt dwe7491rs, as a first saw I liked it for what is, but if you want to do projects like a hardwood dining table I'd recommend a saw with a full length fence. You can rip an 8'+ board on a small saw but it isn't as easy to get joint worthy results.

Check out this new post:
About this saw: https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-Cont...bide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Table-Saw/1001385562
Just slightly more $ than the DeWalt and I think a far better saw for what you want as long as you don't need to put it in a pickup often.

An important thing to consider if you will be rolling the tool around your shop or outside, exactly what surfaces will it be on? Most of the included wheels or add-on mobile bases will do fine on smooth level concrete, but would be a nightmare on grass or gravel etc. An option for a limited space shop: when in use pace the saw in the doorway of your shop, feed into it from outside.

·
Newbie but oldie
52 Posts

Do not forget the Rigid Hybrid at 750$..I am on the same hunt. I have the dewalt and built my own custom box around it, but no real dust control - which is one of my goals. Space is an issue for me and justifying the spend. My neighbor wants my dewalt and will pay $400+ for it with the custom box with drawers - that helps get the wife more with me on the spend...Keep me updated on your research..T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts