Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Wagner CS 8000 HVLP. I've used it off and on but never for finishes that needed to be smooth and shiny.....until now. Luckily both projects were for my sister and the work looks great to her. I on the other hand want a glossy finish and have been getting very very tiny bump like wrinkle finish.

I don't know the tip I'm using. I have 2 of them. One is much larger than the other. I tried using the smaller one with black Behr semi gloss and it was terrible. I switched to the bigger tip and it was decent. Finish was still wrinkle but could have been from the first coat with the wrong nozzle.

Today I was spaying basically the inside and outside of a cabinet using Behr premium ultra primer in 1 semi gloss latex. I mixed a little XIM extended and started with the bigger tip. Paint didnt seem to flow much, not much paint came out. I switched the smaller tip and that helps a lot....BUT...I would still get a drip every time I let go of the trigger. The gun is a Wagner Conversion HVLP...looks to sell for $120+ online.

Any tips to get more consistent paint and no little dots coming out? Is it a matter of paint thining and tip combination?

What about the back of the compressor where the hose turns into, I can adjust the air too, would that help?

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
I don't think you will ever be happy spraying latex with that sprayer. You need to thin it so much to get it to spray right it's more like colored water than paint. You really need a pressure pot sprayer or a airless to spray latex.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Everything comes into play when spraying, the gun, air cap, air pressure, viscosity, fluid control, gun distance, gun movement, surface prep, environmental conditions, temperature, humidity and more than anything, operator experience. Of course with Behr, you are using a house paint of lower quality intended for brushing.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I spayed my cabinets with a hvlp gun and a tiny 6 gallon compressor. I had to thin the paint way down and spray like 7 or 8 coats. I got a good finish but the time wasted on that many coats on two sides would have paid for an airless sprayer.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I don't think you will ever be happy spraying latex with that sprayer. You need to thin it so much to get it to spray right it's more like colored water than paint. You really need a pressure pot sprayer or a airless to spray latex.

^^^^what he said!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts