Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a cherry wood plank about 8 feet long sitting in my workshop and I noticed that there were about 20 small, winged insects hanging around on it.

they looked like fruit flied (not like termites).

It is a dried piece of heartwood. It's been there about twoo weeks.

I have to admit, it smells kind of funky - I don't know how best to describe it though... Nothing extremely pungent, just a little funky.

On the other hand, I have never worked with cherry before, so I am not sure exactly how it is supposed to smell.

any suggestions on what to do? Maybe something was spilled on it at the lumber yard???

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If your board was the origin of the bugs you see, you want to immediately isolate it or risk damaging other wood you have. Carefully inspect the board to see if you see any holes or any sawdust.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So does anybody have any suggestions why this might be?

I have looked and there are no holes in the wood, and there is no sawdust on the ground next to it.

Is this something at all common with cherry?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Based on no holes and no frass I would guess it might be something on or near the wood that is attracting the insects.

Does the whole board smell funky or just the area near the insects? Someone could have spilled a soda or something else on part of it and that residue is attracting the flies.

Could try spraying some insecticide to kill the flies and then see if they come back.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I can tell, it is the whole board.

I am beginning to suspect it is something on the surface.

when i fist got the plank, I cut off about four 15-inch-long sections and laminated them together, and also planed them.

I noticed that the flies are NOT hanging around on those pieces that I had planed (even though they are from the same piece of stock and the pieces I planed are near by the remaining section of the plank).

(BTW: I have not done any finishing to the pieces I planed.)

Can I just use water to wash the board down and see if the bugs go away?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I can tell, it is the whole board.

I am beginning to suspect it is something on the surface.

when i fist got the plank, I cut off about four 15-inch-long sections and laminated them together, and also planed them.

I noticed that the flies are NOT hanging around on those pieces that I had planed (even though they are from the same piece of stock and the pieces I planed are near by the remaining section of the plank).

(BTW: I have not done any finishing to the pieces I planed.)

Can I just use water to wash the board down and see if the bugs go away?
why not plane that board down also maybe not to a finish size , just enough to get the surface off ? that is what i would do, i wouldn't use any water on the board, it has been dry, why wet it ? plane it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts