Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
There are a lot if people here who use them and are happy with them. I've only used their pen turning tools and they were ok.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Here is my opinion about turning tools. Get a good bowl gouge 3/8 spend the money $60.00 - $ 70.00 that tool will allow you to rough out small to medium sized blanks finish both the inside and out side of the bowl. An all around good tool A good parting tool can be made from a kitchen knife. Next tool a spindle gouge $35.00 - $45.00 these tools will outweigh the package tools by a longshot as some of the will be used rarely get what will be used a lot. Try out other ask looks of questions. A good sharpening system will be well worth getting before a lot of tools that you can't keep sharp.

Jerry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
wood shavings said:
Here is my opinion about turning tools. Get a good bowl gouge 3/8 spend the money $60.00 - $ 70.00 that tool will allow you to rough out small to medium sized blanks finish both the inside and out side of the bowl. An all around good tool A good parting tool can be made from a kitchen knife. Next tool a spindle gouge $35.00 - $45.00 these tools will outweigh the package tools by a longshot as some of the will be used rarely get what will be used a lot. Try out other ask looks of questions. A good sharpening system will be well worth getting before a lot of tools that you can't keep sharp. Jerry .00
Thanks Jerry, I was kind of throwing around the same idea. Any brand you would recommend? Would size of spindle gouge would you go with?
You can't tell that I'm a Newby can you? Lol

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The Benjamin's Best tools are good for the money. Lots of people here use them. That set of 8 is a full set of spindle tools. If you're a beginner that's a great way to start, then when you're ready to graduate to bowls come back and ask again.

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
type of turning

Lets figure out what the person would like to turn first. Does very little good to have a set of spindle tools if all the person wants to do is turn bowls.
Check out crafts supply anything that you find in that book / online is of quality that will serve you well.

Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts