Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm obviously new to this forum and relatively new to wood working. I have built things my whole life and enjoy woodworking more now than ever. I'm new to what I consider "finished work" however, and have just started trying to build furniture. Growing up in the country I've built countless chicken coupes, dog houses, benches and heck a barn but those are all pretty big and simple with no real attention to fit and finish. So I'm here to pick brains and get opinions/advise (I know those two get murky on the forums) and hopefully learn as much as I have by joining other unrelated forums! I'm located in central California and my wife and I purchased our first home last year so as you can imagine I can dull a blade and run out of glue faster than ever now! Unfortunately she knows how handy I am and I get plenty of "I need you to build this" and not much time for practice. I'm a boilermaker/blacksmith for union pacific by trade so coming home and working with wood is very calm and refreshing for me. Thanks in advance for all the knowledge I'll hopefully gain here!
/Jesse

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Hello & welcome! Some great folks here Jesse so dig around, read, watch videos, and most importantly ask questions.
I'm fairly new to the whole experience myself so don't feel intimidated by some of the great stuff you see here.
Those folks are more than willing to answer any questions you might have about their methods & procedures.
Enjoy the ride!
..Jon..

·
where's my table saw?
28,759 Posts
hello

So a boilermaker/blacksmith for a railroad? How so? I thought all today's engines were diesel powered electrics. Are we going back to coal and steam? ;)

Any photos of the barn you built? What construction method?
Timber Frame with poles or stick built on footings?

Fill out your location in the "User CP" about yourself. It's often necessary to answer specific questions related to wood movement when building furniture. Welcome.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome Jesse from New Hampshire - this is a great forum you've joined. Since you're familiar with woodworking and have tools all you need to build furniture is to start and ask questions along the way... but if you really want to start with a good footing, get your self a woodworking go too book. I'm sure folks will suggest their favorite and theirs may be better then mine, but I have a copy of "Illustrated Cabinetmaking" by Bill Hylton which is a Fox Chapel publishing. You'll learn about wood movement and different design features. This advice is coming from a self taught woodworker who can't be considered a cabinetmaker, but I'm more then a weekend warrior - I'll label myself a craftsman. Yea - that feels good :yes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well wood we don't actually have any boilers anymore but our title hasn't changed. We're still the go to guys when there's something they need made that they can't get. As for the barn it was simple stick built. Not finished on the inside but it didn't leak! The only pictures of it are in storage.

Bernie, I've been collecting magazines and how to books for the last few months and I never knew how many neat little tips and tricks were burried in those. I'll be on the look out for the one you mentioned as so far I haven't gotten too many cabinetry books.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts