1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, I give him credit. Was he always blind? Did he go blind, or legally blind? I ask because, some people who go blind and have done a certain job during their life time, can rely on other senses to help them out....
He must have a real 'feel' for turning...being able to sense the cutting, etc...

My hat's off to him....Jay...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Result of Vietnam....so he has been blind since '79 totally....some sort of disease from the jungle. Scares me to watch him do it....but then again, he is enjoying himself.

·
Registered
484 Posts
joasis

Bless you Bill and wish you all the luck in the world. If Bill really wants to be a turner he needs all the support in the world and friends like you joasis. You both sound like special people to me. Turn them round Bill. Mitch:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
We used to have a man where I live that was blind and built dulcimers. He was very good. He died several years ago and they sold all his equipment that was specifically made for a blind person.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill built a cedar chest for his mother (86) for Christmas....now it wasn't perfect...the joints were not the best...and it was sanded way to smooth...one thing Bill can do is sand,...and sand...and sand,.....but he did build it. One thing I discovered "helping" him was that a lot of things we take for granted...he has only feel...and like cutting rabbits or dado's on a table saw...he has no way to determine straight.....so the joints were not perfect.....next round of projects, I hope to have the dovetail jig set up and perfected...since I think he can do that well....

The bandmill in the picture is his...he can work at it and saw lumber....just a lot slower then the rest of us.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Jay,

Every time you post about Bill it just amazes me.....;) ;) ;)

Bill has a lot of determination and you are a great friend to him...

It's always a reminder to me....Do not take things for granted....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts