Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently while trying to build a copy of the Workshop Hutch by NYW's Norm, I had to make dados in 2x4 lumber. I don't own a radial arm saw so the cuts where made on the table saw. Thank God nothing happened but it seemed to me that the way I did these cuts was sort of dangerous. The 2x4 where about 75 in long so using the miter gage was out of the question. I did the inside cuts freehand on the table saw and the corners with the fence and holding the wood for dear life while using the miter gage. Any suggestions as to how I could have done this safer or was this the correct way of doing it. Thanks.:blink:

ASlo, how would you crosscut large panels on the table saw. I made a panel cutting jig but if the panel is to wide to begin with it just won't work. I already had a MAJOR Kickback :oops: today while doing this operation. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I assume you were making half lap joints in the 4by2 ? if so i would forget the table saw ! get a small hand held circular saw, set the depth, mark the joint position and make multiple cuts, making sure the workpiece is secure. Then chop out the waste with a hand chisel and tidy out/adjust the joint to fit with the same chisel.
Use the hand held circ saw and a straight edge clamp to cross cut large panels- don't struggle on your own with a powerful machine like a table saw. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Introduce Template Guides

This is a project where the template guides can be used. make yourself a 'Female' template with the cut out equal to the size of the dado plus the difference between the Template guide and the cutter and clamp it to your material.
Tom:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts