Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought several boxes of matchsticks (about 4" length). The end goal is to cut the matchsticks down to about 2.25" so they can fit inside glass jars with lids (about 3" high).

I finally found the right hand tool to do the cutting - the Dremel Saw-Max. I am able to cut the matches down almost to the length I need, but I struggle with keep the matches secure while I do it.

I have tried keeping the matchsticks in the box they came in (holds about 50 matchsticks). I have also tried using a thick rubber band to hold the matchsticks together. But it's still a struggle.

What would you recommend?

Pictures of the matchsticks in the box:
http://areohome.com/store/candlelight-matches-bad-dog-homart-matches-set-of-3-boxes/dp/8033

Picture of the final product:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/168672828/large-status-jar-glass-match-holder-with

·
Registered
233 Posts
A mitre guillotine that you can set the guides at 90° to the cutter would work, since the blade remains level you should be able to line up 20 or so and just chop.

·
where's my table saw?
30,362 Posts
I'd use a bandsaw. Wrap them together with a rubber bands then wrap that in paper and tape it. It "should" work just fine, but I've never tried it of course.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sometimes this sight never ceases to amaze me.

A utility knife with a good blade will do what you want, if there's not a brand out there already pretty close to your requirements.

·
where's my table saw?
30,362 Posts
you want amazing?

A utility knife with a good blade will do what you want, if there's not a brand out there already pretty close to your requirements.
Just use the Kitchen Aid or the Cuisinart put them in the carrot chute until they are the correct length......:blink:

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts

I suggested a brand the exact size, but they are not designer matches that can be sold for $25 a pop.:laughing:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't you find any matches that are the right length? Around here most matches are about two inches long.,
Yes, that's what I have been doing. However, I get them from different vendors, so they aren't the same size and have inconsistent color quality. I'm trying to offer customers a variety of match tip colors that are the same size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked a box of Redbird brand, they come 2 1/4".
I'm trying to offer customers a variety of match tip colors that are consistent in size and color quality, and this brand only offers one color. Plus they are strike-anywhere matches so they have that white tip, and technically I'm not supposed to ship them because they're more dangerous than safety matches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I suggested a brand the exact size, but they are not designer matches that can be sold for $25 a pop.:laughing:
Also - it's not just the gourmet matches I'm selling. It's also the strikers, which come in letters and many different shapes. So, people can customize their match tip color and striker shape. You'd be surprised at how many people buy these as gifts, especially during the holidays.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I probably bought a glass jar tall enough for the match sticks and save the botheration of trimming. Longer match sticks are safer to use and would last longer to light up more candles in one go. 😊

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I probably bought a glass jar tall enough for the match sticks and save the botheration of trimming. Longer match sticks are safer to use and would last longer to light up more candles in one go. ��
Yes, you are correct about safety and utility, and I actually have purchased taller jars and put them on my site:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/238504900/extra-large-status-jar-glass-match

However, to me, the jar is still a bit too tall. Just sold 1 so far online. I also have them in a local gift shop. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts