Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have s piece of 4/4" maple 4 1/2" square. I want a ring with an old of 4" and an ID of 2 1/2". The outside is easy. How do I do the ID?

Thank you in advance.

Andy

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Depends on what you have to work with. On a lathe, turn the ID, then grip it by the ID and turn the OD. Need a chuck that will hold it for each turning.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a chuck that big. If I did, I would worry about hitting bottom in the Chuck with the chisel.

I actually want to th r n a few of these in different sizes. I was hoping to avoid buying a bunch of hole saws.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I don't have a chuck that big. If I did, I would worry about hitting bottom in the Chuck with the chisel.

I actually want to th r n a few of these in different sizes. I was hoping to avoid buying a bunch of hole saws.
Glue the workpiece to a scrap-block with a piece of paper in between.

Turn the outside to size, then push a parting tool straight into the middle to cut the core, keep going till you meet the waste block.

Then separate the workpiece from the waste block.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Off the wall idea - glue a block of scrap to each side, turn it as a "captive" ring, then cut the scrap in two:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Adillo303 said:
I have s piece of 4/4" maple 4 1/2" square. I want a ring with an old of 4" and an ID of 2 1/2". The outside is easy. How do I do the ID? Thank you in advance. Andy
There are several videos on utube showing how to turn a bangle which should be similar to what you want.
Tom

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't forget the pix.

This is for an idea that I have for the mallet swap.

Will post if it works, otherwise, if it blows up, y'all have seen sawdust.

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts