Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Bosch 1617 router for use in my CNC Shark II but the chuck is too big for my 1/8" bits so I bought a collet chuck adapter to get it to fit. In theory it works but trying to replace a bit is somewhere between a real chore and almost impossible. It's just too tight and I change bits with some frequency. Is there some trick to making this less of a problem? My preference would be for a 1/8" collet chuck for my Bosch but it doesn't appear to exist :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
I recently purchased a Bosch 1617 router for use in my CNC Shark II but the chuck is too big for my 1/8" bits so I bought a collet chuck adapter to get it to fit. In theory it works but trying to replace a bit is somewhere between a real chore and almost impossible. It's just too tight and I change bits with some frequency. Is there some trick to making this less of a problem? My preference would be for a 1/8" collet chuck for my Bosch but it doesn't appear to exist :(
There is a company called Elaire. They specialize in collets and have an extensive line for the 1617. The 1/8" is their number R24-1250 for $19.90. They have many other sizes that fit no standard router bit. I am guessing they are to permit the use of milling bits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I ordered one and it is sized for a 1/8" bit but you can't get the bit all the way in...just too tight. On my other router I had a similar issue a few years ago but was able to find a chuck that took a 1/8" bit naturally. Apparently I forgot what a nightmare the collet was and I don't see a chuck for my bosch available that supports a 1/8" bit. Now if someone knew of such a chuck I would be really happy :)

·
where's my table saw?
29,172 Posts
There's a router extension collet

Yeah, I ordered one and it is sized for a 1/8" bit but you can't get the bit all the way in...just too tight. On my other router I had a similar issue a few years ago but was able to find a chuck that took a 1/8" bit naturally. Apparently I forgot what a nightmare the collet was and I don't see a chuck for my bosch available that supports a 1/8" bit. Now if someone knew of such a chuck I would be really happy :)

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-router-collet-extension-for-1-4-in-shank-bits

Now all you need is the reducer from 1/4" to 1/8" bits. :|

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What are you calling a chuck? Routers use collets. And what kind of bits are you using?

Bosch calls theirs a "Self-Releasing Collet Chuck" so I assumed the collet was the movable internal part that constricts/holds the bit in place and the chuck is the part that screws on to the router. Until I had this problem I never really gave that part my router any thought. Is it possible to replace the internal part with one that would support 1/8" bits? Something else I've never thought of doing to my router :p

I'm using 1/16" carbide 2 flute endmill bits. The shank is 1/8" though.

Ok, looked it up - it's a nut. So why does Bosch call it a chuck? Anyway the reducer I bought has four cuts running along the length. Two running in one direction and two the other. It's just too tight for quick/frequent bit changes and figured I can't be the only guy with this problem.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
OK, you said you already have one of Elaire's collets and the bits won't fit it? Have you confirmed that the bits are in fact 0.125 inch? I'd be asking Elaire what's up, it seems like that's their business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, you said you already have one of Elaire's collets and the bits won't fit it? Have you confirmed that the bits are in fact 0.125 inch? I'd be asking Elaire what's up, it seems like that's their business.

It seems like it should fit. I get it about half way in and then it's just too tight.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It seems like it should fit. I get it about half way in and then it's just too tight.
Elaire offers custom collets so I would think they have the ability to correct any misfit problems with their stock chucks. I repeat the question that you were previously asked. Did you confirm that your bits are indeed 0.125". What you are describing is a bit that is too big for the collet. I had a reducer from 1/2 to 3/8 from MLCS that broke when I forced in a 3/8 milling bit. Looking back, I am not sure who was off size. Mike the bit to be sure it is not you that is off. If you are at 0.125" call Elaire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Is there a reason you can't switch to a 1/4" shafted bits? In routers that are used in a router table or hand held the bits shouldn't go all the way down and bottom out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts