Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to finish this table, but have so far failed to successfully put the trim on. I'm trying to use 1/8" thick pine, but am having trouble with the curves. I am by no means a pro at this, and would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome to the forum, might try an introduction.
No idea what part you are trying to trim on that table with eighth inch pine. Pretty vague.

·
7,222 Posts
Looks like an outdoor table.

I do not expect anything you do will hold up. The boards to which you want to attach the trim will move a LOT outside.

The 1/8in pine should flex around the curves, but whether you nail or screw this to the table boards, it will crack and split as the boards move.

·
Registered
26,955 Posts
If it were me I would sand the edge and leave it like it is. The most I would do is put a skirt recessed back 4" or 5" from the edge. There will be so much movement on the table top even a thicker piece of trim around the edge wouldn't stay.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
It looks like you have added a strrip of wood across the ends of the boards. If secured, will prohibit the expansion and contraction of those boards. If you properly installed it as a breadboard, it will serve its purpose. If you edge the outside edge of the table, without allowing for cross grain movement, you will have a problem with the boards.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ain't gonna work!!:thumbdown:
Just finish the ends of the top boards and be done with it. Too much chance for expansion and constriction as others have said.
Bill

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey sorry for the vagueness of my post. I was trying to figure out what to use around the edge of the table. I ended up making the curves on the table more gentle, and was able to put some pine around the edges of the table. The table is for a summer camp that I work at, and the materials all came out of an old camp building that they had to tear down. I'll post an introduction to give everyone more of an idea of who I am and what I'm up to. Thanks for the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts