Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Sears 152.221140 table saw. I am finally getting to use it and was setting the blade square to the miter slot and it talks about in the manual "removing the motor cover" to access some bolts. I can't figure out how to get it off. There are two screw type things that flip up to loosen one side but not remove and a hinge on the other side. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
RAM Man
742 Posts
Just guessing but it looks to me like the cover can't be easily removed but is made to swing open. I would pay closer attention to those two "screw type things" as they probably release that side of the cover so it can be swung open.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just guessing but it looks to me like the cover can't be easily removed but is made to swing open. I would pay closer attention to those two "screw type things" as they probably release that side of the cover so it can be swung open.
Yeah that's definitely it but I can't get. I can feel the tension release when I flip up the things on the left but I can't turn them like a screw.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Can you open the motor cover door? Does it swing open on the hinge?

If so, are there three ordinary screws on the right side hinge? Can you open the door and feel behind that panel to determine whether the screws go directly into the sheet metal or have nuts and washers behind them?

In either case, open the door, unscrew the three hinge screws, and remove the cover with the hinge attached. Reverse the process to reattach the cover.

What am I missing here? Why must the cover be removed, rather than swinging it out of the way?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you open the motor cover door? Does it swing open on the hinge?

If so, are there three ordinary screws on the right side hinge? Can you open the door and feel behind that panel to determine whether the screws go directly into the sheet metal or have nuts and washers behind them?

In either case, open the door, unscrew the three hinge screws, and remove the cover with the hinge attached. Reverse the process to reattach the cover.

What am I missing here? Why must the cover be removed, rather than swinging it out of the way?
By remove I mean open. I cant open the cover. It should pivot on the hinge like you state. I just don't know how to use the clips/latches/flip ups things. I flip them up but nothing.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
While searching the web, I remember seeing one image that showed round holes on the sheet metal side of those two tabbed items on the motor cover door.

It made me wonder if those are plastic snap rivet type expansion pins? Kinda like one of these:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hot-item-R-type-Nylon-snap_60404474234.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1987719393.html

You don't want to break them, but if you use a thin screwdriver to pry the tabs out very gently just a tiny bit to see what happens, do they seem to want to go in that direction, or is it obviously wrong to pull on them? Do they expose a tiny bit of a smaller pin behind the tab?

See the attached photo. I found it in a cached eBay auction that is gone now.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,743 Posts
Those latches are spring loaded .....

If I recall, after you flip them so they are standing straight out, you twist them 90 degrees OR you just "pop" the cover free on that side..
Either way, they need to be sticking straight out. The holes are round so I suspect the cover just pops free, Pry at it gently .......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts